Urch Forums

2013 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread)

hedgequant

For reasons that still don't make complete sense to me, the FInance boards operate much differently than the Econ boards. But what I think we can all benefit from is a thread that is just a place to vent, get distracted, post funny things, etc. I am just about finished sending out all of my apps (14 in all) and now the excruciating waiting period begins. I know I'll be a bit of a neurotic mess between now and February (I pray that things start happening in February, or else I'll be even more of a mess), and so I thought creating a thread to help distract those of us who are applying this year would be helpful.

I think it would be best to not post things like "have you heard anything from Harvard yet?"

I wish I could just avoid the forums altogether, but since that is nearly impossible, perhaps we can benefit from a thread like this.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea. I am almost done with my 15 applications. Just have to touch up my statement of purpose for some of them and pay all of the fees. I have been a little nervous about this and may have read through the 108 pages of last year's waiting thread, just to get an idea on timing. February had some activity, but it looked like a lot of decisions weren't made until March. I figure I have 4 months before I actually know where I will live for 5 years.

It's nice to see some people in the same boat.

I haven't been through the application grind, but whenever I feel superanxious, I just observe my breath. Breathe really slowly.

Another technique which helps you stay mindful - Close your eyes, roll them up, focus them between your eyebrows, count backwards from 50. Doing this for 10 minutes is equivalent to getting an hour or two of sleep, they say!

Yeah, I'm also in :) like YaSvoboden, I am almost done with the SOPs and I have 10 applications or so to send out. Overworrying as usual, but I guess that's pretty common. That said, how shall distract ourselves? :D

My wife is flying to Dubai next week for a big product launch, and her luggage got lost on the way to Boston. This is barely an anecdote, but it is a 10 second distraction for those that read it :)

This is funny, I just heard a story of a couple whose luggage was lost on the way to their honeymoon. The airline gave them a $1000 shopping card to a department store (can't remember which one), their luggage was promptly found and the airline let them keep the grand as a wedding gift, maybe your wife will have the same kind of luck!!

This is funny, I just heard a story of a couple whose luggage was lost on the way to their honeymoon. The airline gave them a $1000 shopping card to a department store (can't remember which one), their luggage was promptly found and the airline let them keep the grand as a wedding gift, maybe your wife will have the same kind of luck!!

Actually, the luggage will be delivered to her hotel (allegedly) by 9pm, just after all the shops close, so if she risks the airline being true to their word, she might find out (too late) that she doesnt have any clothes for tomorrow :)

You’ve already made all the applications? I’m still working on the first draft of my SOP! You are really scaring me!!!!

)and now the excruciating waiting period begins.

Your profile is amazing and you shouldn't be worried at all. I should be terrified since my list overlaps with yours.

I have always this nasty feeling that my recommenders are too optimistic...

You’ve already made all the applications? I’m still working on the first draft of my SOP! You are really scaring me!!!!

Your profile is amazing and you shouldn't be worried at all. I should be terrified since my list overlaps with yours.

I have always this nasty feeling that my recommenders are too optimistic...

Well, I'm not going to tell you that there is nothing to be worried about, because 2 years ago I had a member of an ad comm tell me in person that "you'll get an offer somewhere" and I went 0-13. I feel good about the steps I've taken over the past 2 years to improve my profile above and beyond where I thought it could be, but I am 30, and geographical concerns ruled out many of the schools to which I wouldve applied, and so out of the 14 schools, only 6 are not in the generally accepted top-10. I will be worried and anxious until the first acceptance is in-hand, if it comes at all :/

As for still being on the draft of your SOP, I wouldn't worry about that. One of my letter writers used to run the ad comm at a top-25 school and said that they don't even think about looking at them until January at most places. So given that, and the fact that whether you finish your SOP 2 years ago or the night before the deadline, it doesn't matter, I wouldn't sweat it.

Side note: my wife's luggage arrived at her hotel at 2am.

Well, I'm not going to tell you that there is nothing to be worried about, because 2 years ago I had a member of an ad comm tell me in person that "you'll get an offer somewhere" and I went 0-13. I feel good about the steps I've taken over the past 2 years to improve my profile above and beyond where I thought it could be, but I am 30, and geographical concerns ruled out many of the schools to which I wouldve applied, and so out of the 14 schools, only 6 are not in the generally accepted top-10. I will be worried and anxious until the first acceptance is in-hand, if it comes at all :/

The problem is that I don't know very well how the average applicant looks like. Economics students start to prepare PhD applications the first year of grad school, while it's quite uncommon for finance students (3-4 every year) to follow the academic route (M&A at JP Morgan is a much more lucrative one....).

I hope that I’m underestimating my university brand name and my recommenders’ network….

The problem is that I don't know very well how the average applicant looks like. Economics students start to prepare PhD applications the first year of grad school, while it's quite uncommon for finance students (3-4 every year) to follow the academic route (M&A at JP Morgan is a much more lucrative one....).

I hope that I’m underestimating my university brand name and my recommenders’ network….

maybe you are maybe you aren't...my letters will be strong, but the overall "network" will be neutral for me...that's why you apply broadly. A 2% acceptance rate is much more likely to hit if you insert yourself into 15 of them.

hedgequant :

I remember you from 2010. We had similar profiles (industry experience etc) and I too went 0-14 or something like that. That's when I decided to break from work and enroll in a Masters program. Luckily that worked for me. So I am very sure it will turn out well for you this year - good luck buddy !

And to all you folks applying this year, hang in there - I know the wait can get stressful !

hedgequant :

I remember you from 2010. We had similar profiles (industry experience etc) and I too went 0-14 or something like that. That's when I decided to break from work and enroll in a Masters program. Luckily that worked for me. So I am very sure it will turn out well for you this year - good luck buddy !

And to all you folks applying this year, hang in there - I know the wait can get stressful !

Looks like I'm in the same boat as both of you, except that I'm applying to accounting. Applied two years ago, rejected by all I applied to, and enrolled in a master's. All the best to us! :)

Also, for any nice person thinking I have nothing to worry about, one of my letter writers might have to back out after I've already submitted applications referencing his letter. He is my third referee and all I really need is an average letter from him (his reputation will mean a good deal), but now I'm struggling to make sure he can actually write it as he said he would.

Anybody else find it as nerve racking as I do to actually hit the submit button? I feel like I have control until that point, and then it's gone. Oh well.

Distraction point: I had Gronkowski on my fantasy football team. Awesome.

I find it terrifying and cathartic to hit send :) Strangely enough, I only am nervous when I do it for the schools in the 20-50 range. WIth the top schools, my attitude is "here I am, take me or leave me"

Yo no soy fiesta!

Also, for any nice person thinking I have nothing to worry about, one of my letter writers might have to back out after I've already submitted applications referencing his letter. He is my third referee and all I really need is an average letter from him (his reputation will mean a good deal), but now I'm struggling to make sure he can actually write it as he said he would.

Not a very nice behavior... This was actually my fear about my third referee (I have two very strong letters from quite young professors, the third one is the big shot), but he has already started to send letters!

I find it terrifying and cathartic to hit send :) Strangely enough, I only am nervous when I do it for the schools in the 20-50 range. WIth the top schools, my attitude is "here I am, take me or leave me"

In my case, the reason is that those schools are my target.

Edited by Catguy

• 2 weeks later...
well, whoever had Dec 5th in the "When will HedgeQuant go to thegradcafe.com and look at the average notification times for schools to which he is applying" pool...you win.

time to go for a run....Until January 20th.

I shamefully have to admit that I did that as well, and it might have been in early November.. I'll join you on that run.