Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation- OB (Macro)- Fall 2021

yvonne

Hi, I am considering applying for PhD in OB for Fall 2021. I am looking for advice on whether my profile needs some work and which schools might be feasible options.

Test Scores (GRE): verbal 165 (96%); quant 169 (96%) writing:4.5

Undegrad GPA: 3.85

Graduate GPA: 3.97

Research Experience:

1. MA thesis on social networks during org changes

2. Pre-doc at a Top 10 business school researching on corporate culture using statistical and machine learning methods

Teaching Experience: NA

Work Experience:

3 years at a global financial technology firm as a strategy analyst

Concentration Applying to: Organizational Behavior (MACRO)

Number of programs planned to apply to: 9-12

Dream Schools: MIT, HBS, INSEAD, Kellogg

Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

Would like to continue exploring the questions regarding networks and uncertainties inside corporations using innovative methods.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1. My MA thesis used qualitative method (interview+survey), would it be ok to use it as my writing sample? I have background in economics and big data analysis. Just wasn't sure if the committee may view the writing sample as ill-fit for the types of research I plan to do there (mixed-method).

2. How to differentiate myself with my training in qualitative methods from the applicant pool with most people with strong quant background?

• 2 weeks later...
Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1. My MA thesis used qualitative method (interview+survey), would it be ok to use it as my writing sample? I have background in economics and big data analysis. Just wasn't sure if the committee may view the writing sample as ill-fit for the types of research I plan to do there (mixed-method).

2. How to differentiate myself with my training in qualitative methods from the applicant pool with most people with strong quant background?

I think 1 and 2 are closely linked. You show that you did an MA thesis with qualitative methods (interview+survey) but that you also have strong quant training.

You have a good profile. You are aiming for top schools, where everyone has top profiles, so there will be a bit of randomness to it, but I am sure you will get interviews. I would look and see who really does mixed methods at the places you go, though. It is good to have the tools in the toolbox, so to speak, but I don't know many scholars that truly do mixed methods.

• 1 month later...

I would add Kentucky, Rutgers and maybe Penn State to your list of schools. Kentucky has the best OB social networks group in the world right now and Rutgers is pretty good too if you're OB focused. Penn State may be a good option due to your interest in mixed methods. The schools you've already listed are all great too but also kind of a crapshoot even with your great test scores.

Not sure about these schools in particular, but I expect that covid coupled with the anticipated economic downturn is going to make this a pretty competitive year for admissions. Schools are likely to have more applicants and possibly more limited funding if the last recession was any indicator.