Urch Forums

Importance of MA/MSc Economics before the PhD??

Shehryar

Hi guys

This is Shehryar from Pakistan. I know ive blabbed on for quie a bit down here but id appreciate the time.

I graduated in 2008 with a First Class Honors degree of the University of London via the External System. The External System is basically the program through which the UoL awards

its degree to students who cannot afford to study in England or cannot attend a good university due to other problems. I enrolled for the degree at University College Lahore, an unknown institution but with quite a repute with the UoL. The courses are exactly the same as those that are offered to LSE students internally.

Now the siuation is that I have waited one year so that i could get teaching and research experience and now im ready for the application 'season'. :)

The thing thats bothering me is that i dont think im not a top 10 PhD in Economics applicant yet. Considering my profile, what do you guys recommend? I didnt take real analysis or topology and stuff but i fulfill all other entry requirements. But i am from Pakistan and i havent seen a Pakistani anywhere close to entering the PhD Economics in the Top 10 in the past (theres always a first time for everything :))

My personal opinion is that a Masters first would be the way to go and i might apply to Oxbridge and LSE for that in Sep 2009.

Expecting prompt and a good deal of helpful advice

And yeah, I had the best worldwide result for the Bsc (Hons) Economics and Finance and I have also been tutor of the University of London Math course (integral and differential calculus, linear and matrix algebra). how much does that help?

But i am from Pakistan and i havent seen a Pakistani anywhere close to entering the PhD Economics in the Top 10 in the past (theres always a first time for everything :))

Just for the sake of a counter example.. heres one

Id suggest doing a masters from one of the places you mentioned or one of the canadian MAs or other palces in Europe would be Toulose, UPF, Tilburg.. and while you are at it apply to a phd programs..ideally you shouldve applied to a few mid range places this cycle..

mple...i want that too, infact i got an offer for the LSE MSc Economics (taught) last year but i couldnt afford it bc i didnt get the scholarship. But ill be applying to LSE again and most probably to Oxford for teh MSc Dev and econ as well.

and ive heard Minnesota wants real analysis as a minimum math requirement. dont they?

eco...thanks a lot. im really surprised but i feel better now :) i am contacting a Yale PhD in my hometown for an RA position

and abt the MZ thing....the problem is that i have financial constraints. we have a pretty good fulbright program in pakistan but scholarships for european programs arent there

mple...i want that too, infact i got an offer for the LSE MSc Economics (taught) last year but i couldnt afford it bc i didnt get the scholarship. But ill be applying to LSE again and most probably to Oxford for teh MSc Dev and econ as well.

and ive heard Minnesota wants real analysis as a minimum math requirement. dont they?

A friend of mine was admitted in Minnesota several years ago. So his background was

-studies in Economics at a big Greek university (only 2 1st Y maths courses - mostly linear algebra)

-800 Q 450 V GRE

-No research (according to what I know)

-Good reference letters

He now works at Yale

Good luck and let us know your results