Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation. Help required

STOCKstar19

Hey guys, I've been reading the boards here for awhile now. I'm nearing the time to apply to graduate school and I was wondering if you could give me a good idea where to apply to as far as Econ PhD.

Undergraduate institute: top 40 in math and economics (public)

GPA: 3.45

GRE: 167

My previous coursework in Economics: Basic Micro (A), Basic Macro (A), Intermediate Macro (B+), Intermediate Micro (A), Game theory (A), Statistics (not econometrics) (A). I plan on taking graduate econ next semester, however this won't be on my transcript when I apply.

Math coursework: Calculus 1-3 (A)(B)(B+), Linear algebra © :( analysis of ODE's (A), Stability of ODE's (B), PDE's (A), Mathematical Modelling (A), Real Analysis (A), Advanced Applied mathematics (A).

I wasn't very focused on school at the time I took Linear algebra, it was my first semester after transferring and it was my first class. Unfortunate, but since then I have learned a large deal of LA in other classes.

Research- I have research in functional analysis with a professor dealing with some existence and uniqueness issues in differential equations, I also have research in stochastic processes. Finally I have some research I could pursue in fluid dynamics if I decide to. I'm not sure if that helps at all for economics however. I was originally planning on applied math graduate school but changed my mind halfway through junior year. I'm planning on applying to schools in 50-25 range. Any advice and thoughts on my profile?

Edited by STOCKstar19

I thought I'd chime in as I had some similarities in my profile when I applied in the previous cycle. I had poor/mediocre grades in Calc, Linear Algebra and ODEs but got A's in more advanced math theory classes (the result of not being motivated during the first two years of undergrad). I didn't get a C in LA (got a B+), but your undergrad institution is ranked significantly higher than the one I attended. I'm commenting on here because when I was applying I couldn't find profiles similar to mine; so perhaps I can be of help to you! A difference in our profiles is that I had a master's degree, but it was from an unprestigious school, so your letters will likely come from loftier individuals than mine did.

I got in to the schools I applied to in the 30-50 last year and I think you'll likewise be competitive in that range, (as mentioned by others you'll want to apply to some higher ranked places). I think the strength of LORs are going to be an important determinant in your case.

Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you that having less than stellar grades early on in undergrad isn't the kiss of death, provided that you excelled in the later years. Definitely send your fall semester grades to the schools your applying to (assuming you continue to do well). Some schools have their deadlines prior to getting fall semester grades (I recall OSU and MSU being two of them), but you can still send an updated transcript once grades are posted for the fall.