Urch Forums

How important is real analysis class?

Jayd

I know in order to impress the adcoms, we have to take real analysis and get an A. However, my school doesn't have undergraduate real analysis class. Should I just take graduate real analysis? I am worried that I might get a bad grade because math in graduate level is much harder to undergrad math.

Also I am wondering why we have to take real analysis? One of my econ professors told me that real analysis is not that helpful unless my interest is about theoretical economics.

Any thoughts?

In my college we have discrete mathematics as the first partial proof-based class and analysis as the first full proof-based course.

post the course description

I will tell you if it is actually graduate level course or not

If it is you can not take it - you will definitely fail it.

Course discription: Develops the theory of Lebesgue measure and the Lebesgue integral on the line, emphasizing the various notions of convergence and the standard convergence theorems. Applications are made to the classical Lp spaces

In my college we have discrete mathematics as the first partial proof-based class and analysis as the first full proof-based course.

For undergrads there are two proof-based classes called analysis 1 and 2.

Course description: Develops the theory of Lebesgue measure and the Lebesgue integral on the line, emphasizing the various notions of convergence and the standard convergence theorems. Applications are made to the classical Lp spaces

For undergrads there are two proof-based classes called analysis 1 and 2. In order to take real analysis, we have to take analysis 1 and 2 as prerequisite.

post the course description

I will tell you if it is actually graduate level course or not

If it is you can not take it - you will definitely fail it.

Course discription: Develops the theory of Lebesgue measure and the Lebesgue integral on the line, emphasizing the various notions of convergence and the standard convergence theorems. Applications are made to the classical Lp spaces

For undergrads there are two proof-based classes called analysis 1 and 2.

It sounds like your course is attempting to cover the first 3 chapters of big rudin or atleast a watered down version of it. I'd be surprised if you could follow such a class without knowing any prior analysis or some basic point set topology.

The Analysis I & II for undergrads are exactly what ECON people mean by "real analysis". They are helpful for developing your skills of writing proofs and also teach you knowledge that might be useful when you learn more advanced Econ.

For now, forget about the graduate level real analysis. They are super difficult and not required for applications.

And in order to take this course, I will have to take 2 proof-based undergrad courses. So I think I will not over commit here.
It sounds like your course is attempting to cover the first 3 chapters of big rudin or atleast a watered down version of it. I'd be surprised if you could follow such a class without knowing any prior analysis or some basic point set topology.

Thanks for the reply. Now I am more relaxed and don't have to worry about real analysis. I did get an A in Analysis I this semester, so I am doing fine.

The Analysis I & II for undergrads are exactly what ECON people mean by "real analysis". They are helpful for developing your skills of writing proofs and also teach you knowledge that might be useful when you learn more advanced Econ.

For now, forget about the graduate level real analysis. They are super difficult and not required for applications.