Urch Forums

So I’ve self-studied through an introductory real analysis text (Gaughan) and Baby Rudin Ch 1-8. I’ve not taken a formal real-analysis course in school, but have gotten As in PhD micro I & II (textbook is MWG) and complex analysis. Do you think it would be worth it to take RA 1 in the fall (RA 2 is only offered in Spring) to have it on my transcript, or should I use that time to take different course/research (or is there a way I should leverage my self-study on my SoP)? For context, I’m entering my senior year at an unranked school.

EDIT: As tutonic requested, for more context, here's my profile:

Type of Undergrad: BA Economics, BS Math from Medium Unranked University (ranked in other disciplines, just not econ). I’m not sure if this counts for anything but 80% of the econ faculty come from Top 30 and 30% from Top 10.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA/Concentration: N/A

GRE: Q170 / V168 / AWA 6

Undergrad Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro & Macro, Econometrics, Economics of Networks (As)

Math Courses: Honors Multivariable Calculus (A), Introduction to Advanced Math (A), Probability Theory (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (A), Complex Analysis (A), Topology (A), [self-studied introductory analysis text & Baby Rudin]

Graduate Econ Courses: Econometrics I (A), Micro Theory I & II (A), Mathematics for Economists (A)

Programming: Strong working proficiency in R and Python.

LORs: 1 from thesis advisor and professor, 1 from PhD class professor, 1 from PhD class professor whom I RA for.

Research Experience: By time of applications, will have 2 years RA experience under two professors. Also finished proposal stage of honors undergraduate theory thesis, should take a year (end of senior year) to finish.

Edited by coloradoecon

There's very little value in taking it if you've already gotten As in Micro I and II, and also have complex analysis. Math grades (and specifically, real analysis, and other higher level math courses) are used to proxy your ability to handle first year coursework. The only potential cause of concern is that your school is unranked, so adcoms might be a bit skeptical of the rigour of the PhD courses you've taken. However, with regards to that, there really isn't much you can do about it. The best thing to do would be to see where past students from your school have gone on to do their PhDs, to kind of gauge the general perception of your school.

As for charting your way forward for your senior year, it'll really help if you post your complete profile here, using the typical format, to better inform others on this forum of the full picture.

• Like 1

Type of Undergrad: BA Economics, BS Math from Medium Unranked University (ranked in other disciplines, just not econ). I’m not sure if this counts for anything but 85% of the faculty comes from Top 30 and 30% from Top 10.

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Grad GPA/Concentration: N/A

GRE: Q170 / V168 / AWA 6

Undergrad Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro & Macro, Econometrics, Economics of Networks (As)

Math Courses: Honors Multivariable Calculus (A), Introduction to Advanced Math, Probability Theory (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (A), Complex Analysis (A), Topology (A), [self-studied introductory analysis text & Baby Rudin]

Graduate Econ Courses: Econometrics I (A), Micro Theory I & II (A), Mathematics for Economists (A)

Programming: Strong working proficiency in R and Python.

LORs: 1 from thesis advisor and professor, 1 from PhD class professor, 1 from PhD class professor whom I RA for.

Research Experience: By time of applications, will have 2 years RA experience under two professors. Also finished proposal stage of honors undergraduate theory thesis, should take a year (end of senior year) to finish.

Take it anyway. If you've self-studied through the text and gotten A's in MWG-based courses, then it will take very little time (e.g. 3-5 hours per week) to ensure an A. But the rate of return for your time invested is quite high because you can get a firmer grasp of the material, and also because there is a subset of top 30 programs have rather inflexible admissions criteria with regards to math courses. Given your very strong profile, I can't think of any other use of 5 hours per week that would be more effective.