Urch Forums

Pre-doc/Full-time RA, or Econ Masters?

TommyL4

Hi there, I'm an international undergraduate, and would like to prusue an econ PhD later on. I'm aiming for top 20ish schools but being in a non-US university is not helping me much, so I probably won't directly apply for PhD.

I understand that working as a full-time RA is getting increasingly popular these days before applying for a top school, but I'm a bit concerned that getting RA positions rather depends on luck, since it's a matching process somehow like PhD applications.

Would doing a Masters in schools like LSE or Chicago be a nice alternative, or is it less useful than doing a pre-doc? Thanks!

It would help if you provided your current profile using the standard template. Has anyone from your school gone on to pursue a PhD in the States? If so, what kind of schools did they get into? If you don't know this, you can approach your programme office for this information. This information will guide you on what to do next.

Full-time RA positions is a popular alternative for most US undergraduates since they would've already taken the full breadth of the required math and econ courses during their bachelor's. Therefore, there's no need to rectify or bolster their profile on the coursework front.

Full-time RA positions is a popular alternative for most US undergraduates since they would've already taken the full breadth of the required math and econ courses during their bachelor's. Therefore, there's no need to rectify or bolster their profile on the coursework front.

I would like to reinforce tutonic's advice. US undergraduates typically do not do master's. Undergraduates in other countries typically do.

Is this really the case for most econ BAs? I know a lot of them that graduate with Calc II and intermediate stats.

snip

Is this really the case for most econ BAs? I know a lot of them that graduate with Calc II and intermediate stats.

True, but only a tiny fraction of econ BAs go on to a PhD. Anyone wanting an econ PhD who hasn't taken linear algebra, and generally more, has been ill-advised.

True, but only a tiny fraction of econ BAs go on to a PhD. Anyone wanting an econ PhD who hasn't taken linear algebra, and generally more, has been ill-advised.

I'm just impressed at how most people seem to be sure they want to get a PhD so early in their academic career. It took me four years after graduating to realize I wanted to get mine.

I'm just impressed at how most people seem to be sure they want to get a PhD so early in their academic career. It took me four years after graduating to realize I wanted to get mine.

Lots of people come to thinking about the PhD the same way you have. It's one reason it's good for students to take some serious math courses early on, as it preserves their options for later.