Urch Forums

Please rate my essay.. no field of study can progress without info from other fields.

VickyBro

I dont know why my first essay was never posted. I posted it, but it dint show up in the forums. Hope this one will. Thanks to all viewers for reviewing my essay.

No field of study can advance significantly unless it incorporates knowledge and experience from outside that field.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

I agree to the claim that any field of study requires the collaboration of multiple inter-related fields in order to make significant progress. In the 21st century where the word itself factors into rapid advancement and enormous scientific prowess, the subjects of study has become more inter-disciplinary. Gone are the days where a student encompasses himself in a prescribed syllabus and gives examinations based on the sole merit of memorization. In this fast changing scenario, for one to keep oneself updated, one must increase his/her outlook by studying multiple subjects and incorporating knowledge related to the concerned field.

One of the best instances that can exemplify this, is the work of an anthropologist, who studies the behavior of humans. An anthropologist takes into account, information from various sources, like the evolution of mankind, the behavior of culture of people living in the early civilizations, and much more. These data are essentially provided by people who excavate the ruins of the early civilizations, known as archaeologists. Scientists also plays an important role in the work and progress of an anthropologist. Buried in the mist of time, the mummies, the ornaments and even the inventions of those days are cultured, analyzed and then the reports are made. The anthropologist now takes these and combine them into something that makes sense. Without the help of these people from different disciplines, an anthropologist will not be able to make sufficient progress. But the contribution is not one way. Scientists and professionals in other industry also need the help from people belonging to other disciplines. An astronomer cannot view the night sky without the scientists that discover by sheer experimentation and mathematical ability, the power of the lens which forms the base of the telescope. Unless the scientists discover ways to view further than the furthest star, astronomers will be severely limited in their field of study.

In multi-billion dollar companies too, this is a very common phenomena. A car manufacturing company requires the expertise of several engineers hailing from several disciplines in order to manufacture the best car. Architects build the design of the car on paper. Mechanical engineers develop prototype and test them under several conditions. Electronics engineers gives a car its internals, the motor, the engine, and most importantly safety features. Chemical engineers makes the car durable by selecting the right mixture of chemicals. At any instant, it is worthwhile to observe that ideas and information to the best of each individual’s knowledge flows from everywhere to everywhere.

In conclusion, it is clearly observable that nowadays all fields of study have become interdisciplinary and hence it is necessary to call in information and data from other fields. Often these can even provide a breakthrough, which otherwise would have remained stalled, hindering the progress of that field.No field of study can advance significantly unless it incorporates knowledge and experience from outside that field.