Urch Forums

PhD in Operations Management - Profile Evaluation Request

operations1

Hi All,

I am interested in pursuing PhD Operations Management from Business Schools in USA. I am interested inresearch with respect to supply chain management or any business operation in a generic way. My current location is India.

Profile -

1. BE (Electronics &Telecom) - IIEST, Shibpur (previously State Govt University, now an Institute of National Importance), 79%

2. PGDM - IIM Ranchi, 3.46/4.33, Rank 12

3. Work ex - IT sector (3.5 years) after engineering

4. GRE - 318 (165 Q, 153 V)

5. TOEFL - 106 (25+ in all sections)

I am applying to the following schools:

1. Kelley - Indiana University

2. Mc Combs - UT Austin)

3. Kenan Flager - Univ of North Carolina

4. Simon - University of Rochester

5. Scheller- Georgia Tech

6. NUS Business School

Can someone please evaluate my profile and let me know if the schools I have selected is ok or not? Any suggestions for addition or deletion is welcome. Thanks a lot !!

Edited by operations1

I am interested inresearch with respect to supply chain management or any business operation in a generic way.

Do you have more specific interests or ideas? The reason I ask is, when I ask the operations management students here about their research (mostly assuming all they do is supply chain management) they get very frustrated with me and calmly explain that their research involves much more than just supply chain management. This statement from your post reminds me of myself and I'm not sure that's a good thing, especially in this case.

In general though, I have no idea if you will be competitive. How did you select the six schools you are applying to? Why only six?

. I am interested inresearch with respect to supply chain management or any business operation in a generic way.

Yeah, I wouldn't say this in an SoP. Witt really nailed it, I think that even if you don't know exactly what you want to do, you need a better idea of the research than is demonstrated in this sentence. I'm not saying you don't have that, just this sentence doesn't show it.

I don't know much about ops management. From what I see you seem to meet the minimum stuff, but a lot comes down to research interest and letters of recommendation.

To be a bit more specific, I am interested in areas like supply chain finance (OM-Finance interface) and supply chain risk management. But I am not sure if I develop a different set of research interests during coursework given I get an admission.

It would be great if you could tell whether my target schools are ok not? Anything you could suggest?