Urch Forums

2015 ARE Thread

Hokies

Hey y'all - I recently found out that I got into University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and the Environment PhD program, specifically, I would pursue the "resource policy and behaviour" stream. I was wondering if anyone knows much about this program. I know it is a bit different than a traditional ARE program, but they have a lot of people using econometric techniques to study resource use and policies. Does anyone have any experience with this program? I'm thrilled, but I'm curious how limiting it would be to get a degree that does not have the word "economics" in it (I'm more interested in think-tank/NGO/government jobs than academia though).

I don't know too much about Michigan's department specifically, but I had a similar question when I was looking around at where to apply. I'm interested in simulation modeling, ABM and integrated assessment, and I found a lot of labs working out of Natural Resources or Forestry and Natural Resources that did good research for me. But I felt the same way that it might be limiting.

On the one hand, 'Economics' or even 'Agricultural Economics' signals a clear general background that went into the degree, but 'Natural Resource and the Environment' doesn't really indicate clearly what your PhD means. The program likely includes good coursework and you will leave with the skills necessary to succeed in a think tank/NGO/public job, I'm sure, but it might be that you're always in that 'and other related degree' part of the job qualifications for education. Then again, it's all speculation how much that matters and I'd bet in the field of resource policy and behavior Michigan's program is known.

Also, these sorts of interdisciplinary departments have become really popular recently. Obviously, Michigan is a great program and just looking through the faculty list it's clearly got some great talent and researchers. They definitely publish well and I know Agrawal, for example, is well cited and respected in the literature on collective action management and institutions. So it's probably not a real risk, and if things continue down the path of more interdisciplinary approaches to these issues you will get in on the ground floor.

So while I understand the feeling, I think it's a pretty safe bet you won't face too many limitations. I think it's more a matter of personal preference whether you want that doctorate in a more traditional area, and the actual effects on future career will depend more on what you researched, whether you published and what networking you did. I'd bet the program at Michigan will give you a strong resume in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello! Anyone planning to visit Purdue and Michigan State? I heard that Purdue does one-on-one visit, and Michigan State will host a conference or open house on March 19th and 20th. I am wondering if those schools reimburse students for travel expense. Thanks!

Hi there, I applied to a lot of (overly competitive, i.e. top 20) ECON departments, 2 Public Policy, and some ARE/AE departments. So far I've been accepted into Wisconsin Madison (ARE) and Minnesota (AE) for the PhD. I am, too, interested on the opinion of others on the feasibility of doing development work in Maryland. Good luck to y'all!

Hi everyone,

I'm a currently an econ MA student and am planning on applying to mostly Applied/AREC doctoral programs for the next cycle (likely with a smattering of pure programs sprinkled in for good measure). My question to you guys is: how does one know which AREC schools one might be a competitive at?

Most of the profiles/ results are for pure programs, and it seems like the majority of the posters on this site have near perfect GPA's, 6 semesters of Real Analysis, and letters of recommendation from John Nash.

I've spoken to various professors at my MA program but I have a strong suspicion that they might be taking an overly optimistic view of my chances. How did everyone here attempt to discern what level of school to target?

Thanks! Any and all advice is appreciated.

A good place to start would be to look at the people posting on this thread and the ARE threads for previous years. You can click on their profile and see if they posted their stats in the past.

I'm not an individual for whom this matters, but I suspect the individual to whom you are responding is looking for information broadly. That is, It's a little bit more clear who gets accepted to the top AAE/ARE programs (Berkley, Davis, Maryland, Cornell), but I think it is much more nebulous for programs that people don't ever talk about (e.g. University of Missouri). Someone asked me this one before, and my reply was that except for the very well-known programs, AAE/ARE programs are probably less well-known/competitive than their Econ counterparts (at the same university).

Can anyone speak to this?

This doesn't directly address you question, but I think it'll offer some insight:

The top ARE program is Berkeley. The remainder of the top-10 ARE programs (now-a-days) are second tier (this comes directly from an advisor). Maryland AREC has good professors, but their reputation seems to be based on historical strength. In this world, Berkeley is in a league of it's own -- and the many top applicants with interests that suit the ARE field apply to all pure economics and Berkeley ARE as a result, ignoring Maryland AREc, Davis ARE, Wisconsin AAE, Ohio State AEDE, etc. Yale FES Environmental Economics is floating around somewhere too -- but I don't consider them an ARE program. It probably about as difficult to get into Berkeley ARE as it is to get into Yale FES.

This is what I would say the rankings are for ARE:

1 - Berkeley

3 - Maryland & Davis (I omit 2 to say there is a gap!)

then:

NC State

Iowa State

Cornell

Wisconsin

Ohio State

Purdue

Minnesota

Getting into the ARE program at Berkeley is easier than getting into the Economics program at Berkeley. I'd also say this is true for Maryland AREC v Maryland Econ, Wisconsin AAE v Wisconsin Econ, David ARE v Davis Econ... you get the point.

In terms of competitiveness -- some people project Berkeley ARE ~ top-20 economics. I think this is relatively correct -- I was offered a spot at Berkeley ARE and the highest pure economics program I've been accepted to is Duke, WL @ Michigan and still waiting for UCSD.

When you get further down in the rankings -- research fit is very important. These programs still look for quantitatively strong applicants, but if the department focuses on extension-style research and you want to do international development, there just isn't much value-added in attending that program.

However, you have to remember that ARE programs do a bit different research. They typically focus on applied microeconomics and actually have very little to do with agriculture these days. Even at the top programs, match is particularly important.

• Like 1

Thanks ColonelForbin. I am aware that ARE schools are easier to get into than their pure counterparts and of the fundamental difference between pure and applied programs. I know I don't have a chance at Berkeley, and Maryland and Davis are likely long shots, though those are actually the schools that two of the professors who will be writing my letters attended. However, I am currently looking closely at all the schools you mention as being in the second tier, as well as some pure programs outside of the top 50 with strengths in applied micro. I posted my profile in the general forum, but only got one or two responses.

There just doesn't seem to be as much information out there with regards to the candidates getting offers from various ARE programs, so I'm having difficulty determining whether the second tier schools are reasonably good fits or reaches in my case.

Here's my 2 cents. I have so far received 3 letters of acceptance: Wiscon ARE, Minnesota AE, and Brown ECON. I was rejected from Berkeley ARE and Davis ARE. This makes me think that getting into a top PhD in ARE/AE may not be as easy as some think (since Brown > Davis ECON > Davis ARE, according to ColonelForbin). Hopes this helps and you get into the PhD of your dreams! (Btw, my credentials are as follows, in case you want to calibrate your chances, notwhitstanding the many unobservables: math real analysis, topology, BA in economics with honors from top school in my country, 2 years experience at central bank, 3 working papers, GRE: 163/168/4,5).

Hi JohnnyCash. Thanks for your response. It's interesting that you got accepted at Brown and denied at Davis ARE as it defies the conventional wisdom (at least on this website). I guess I shouldn't rely on ARE programs being easier to in to, and it seems as though your undergraduate performance was much better than mine. I didn't work particularly hard as an undergrad, majored in math and did not take a single econ course. I'm now at a two year thesis-based MA, but I'm just not sure how much a stellar masters GPA can make up for a mediocre undergrad GPA, particularly since my masters institution doesn't have a phd program. I ended up with a 3.63 in undergrad with B's in a few important classes early on (BA in math) and now have a 4.0 so far in my masters program. I've seen other "marginal undergrad GPA, high masters GPA" profiles and results, but they were all applying to pure programs.

Anyway, thanks for your insight and a hearty congratulations on the Brown acceptance! Providence RI is a pretty fun little city if you've never been there.

Is there anyone that still hasn't hear from Maryland? I know they probably have given out a few admissions according to posts on GC but seems that no wait list or rejections released.

I still have not heard from Maryland or UMass. It seems really late and is pretty frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...