Urch Forums

2017 Ph.D. Business Administration Sweat Thread

zanelabw

I have observed the same. While I got into the highest ranking school I applied to, top 20 in my field, some of the back-up schools rejected me. My view is that adcoms can see through an application as to whether an applicant is good enough to get through at a higher ranked school. It is also good for everyone involved.

I am felling very fortunate that I got in the second highest ranking school I applied to. It's a great T50 school and I am very happy with my choice. Interestingly most of my "back-up" schools (except one) rejected me.

In summary, it's really hard to tell what a committee sees in your application and how they evaluate single components of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well my worst-case scenario occurred. I was wait-listed and told by a coordinator that I was in either if someone rejected their offer or if the dean allowed an extra spot to be filled.

Needless to say, no one rejected their offer and the Dean did not allow an extra spot. So, last night, I received the dreaded "log in to view your admission decision" email.

I graduate with my Master of Science in Finance on Thursday (Just 5 days away)! But, I am now adrift, applying for jobs very late in the hiring cycle, pondering what my next move will be. I guess I can try again next year, but damn... I hate starting a job knowing that I would quit in a heartbeat if I were to be accepted into a PhD program next year...

Congratulations to everyone that received offers! I've enjoyed reading everyone's tales. Best of luck to you all!!!

I know it is incredibly disappointing mate. But, if you want to look at the good signs, you were waitlisted, that too first on the list. So, just missed out on an offer. I don't have details on the school that waitlisted you, but if that is a top 30 school, you can apply to slightly lower ranked schools next year (and so on). Obviously, you can improve on the profile to even apply to similar tier or better ranked schools.

I don't have data to back, but what I understand from my discussions is that this year has been very competitive (at least to European schools I applied to). So, next year could yield better results given same profile and application package.

Having worked in an investment bank and consultancies, I can assure that you would be working with some very clever folks there. Also, it is good for anyone financially as the savings would come in handy when you start your PhD.

If you were this close to an admit, my sincere advice would be to try again. If you are just finishing your Masters, I assume you are in your early twenties. Many of us are in our late thirties and early forties, and starting our PhD journey just now. So, time is on your side.

Best of luck for next year.

well my worst-case scenario occurred. I was wait-listed and told by a coordinator that I was in either if someone rejected their offer or if the dean allowed an extra spot to be filled.

Needless to say, no one rejected their offer and the Dean did not allow an extra spot. So, last night, I received the dreaded "log in to view your admission decision" email.

I graduate with my Master of Science in Finance on Thursday (Just 5 days away)! But, I am now adrift, applying for jobs very late in the hiring cycle, pondering what my next move will be. I guess I can try again next year, but damn... I hate starting a job knowing that I would quit in a heartbeat if I were to be accepted into a PhD program next year...

Congratulations to everyone that received offers! I've enjoyed reading everyone's tales. Best of luck to you all!!!

If you are sure that at the end of the day you would like to do research and get a PhD, maybe a better option for you now is not to get a industry job, but find a research-related job: ask if faculties at your master's program would like to hire you as a RA, apply for RA position at other universities or research institutions (Federal Reserve/ NBER etc). That would improve your profile & get you great rec letter.

Very sorry to hear that Algo. If I were you I would do both: look for an industry job AND a research position. You never know what happens until next year. Maybe you will like your new job so much that you won't even be interested in getting a PhD anymore, or maybe you will get married and don't want to move.,,, or maybe this or that. A million things can happen in a year. I think it's important to NOT put your life on hold right now. It doesn't mean you have to give up on your "dream." You can always re-apply. Look at your application and think about what can be improved. I don't even think you have to apply to lower ranking schools. From my own experience I must say that applying to a lower ranking school is no guarantee that you will increase your chances. I was admitted by the second highest ranking school I applied to. (T40-ish) and rejected by schools that rank much lower. I don't know exactly how schools make their decisions. It can't be all based on test scores or GPA. I being a good fit in terms of research interest is important and so are relationships you have. Who can help you get in touch with people at that school? I have also heard that this year's application pool was extremely competitive. Almost every school told me that, but now I am starting to think that they say that every year and this statement is just supposed to make us feel better when we get rejected. I think every year is going to be competitive. It's not going to get less competitive. I understand your disappointment, but you tried, and you can try again next year. If it is meant to be it will happen.

Incredible turn of events! I was admitted! I will join many of you as a peer beginning this journey in the Fall term.

Very sorry to hear that Algo. If it is meant to be it will happen.

For all of us who will start a program this fall and have some doubts (like myself) about whether we will succeed, here are some encouraging words a friend sent me a few days ago. I mean this is something we all know already, but I thought it was great to have someone outside of academia sum it up like this:

(So this is for all of us here!)

"Schools, especially one like where you are going, have a reputation. They're winners, and they are because they have a system of selection that works. They selected you because they know, based on what you provided, and their proven experience, that someone like you HAS what it takes to make it. They base this on all that data that you gave them: transcripts, test scores (well, not so much the test scores in my case), letters etc. Together, those things are a blueprint of someone that will succeed in their program, and as such they selected you."

"Schools, especially one like where you are going, have a reputation. They're winners, and they are because they have a system of selection that works. They selected you because they know, based on what you provided, and their proven experience, that someone like you HAS what it takes to make it. They base this on all that data that you gave them: transcripts, test scores (well, not so much the test scores in my case), letters etc. Together, those things are a blueprint of someone that will succeed in their program, and as such they selected you."

Let me add one more thing on here. The odds were not in your favor that you would get into a PhD program. It's a huge accomplishment to even get into a PhD program so take some time in the coming months to celebrate and enjoy life. Also remember that deciding that a PhD is not for you is not a failure. I always like to remind people that the happiest PhD students I know are my friends who decided to leave their programs after a year or two. Work hard, put your head down. You are 100% capable of doing this, even on the days when it doesn't feel like it.

Two more pieces of advice I've given on here before, but I will repeat forever. First, your mental health will be stretched likely beyond what you've ever experienced while in a PhD program. Please do not hesitate to seek the help you need. Your school has the resources to help you and are free to students, but possibly no one at your program will tell you that. Please be on the lookout for signs of depression and get help immediately. This is extremely pervasive in the academic world, and needs to be addressed by us now.

Second, in this academic life as opposed to industry, there is surprisingly little feedback on how you are doing. The little feedback you do get is rarely a positive and uplifting experience. This is just the way academia is. There are many ways to combat this. The most effective way that I've found is to celebrate every miniscule win. Actively seek out reasons to celebrate. Did you get significant results? Have a drink. Finish the semester? Watch a movie. Make it through the day without crying? Sit outside. Make it through the day with crying? Have another cry from the comfort of your bed. My point is that there are very few big wins in this world (in life as well, not just academia). Celebrate the little wins and go all out for the big wins.

To all of you students starting in a few months congratulations! To all of you reapplying, please let us know if we can help. To all of you who have gotten off the PhD train and decided to not pursue this any further, congratulations to you as well. The academy will always be here if you feel it stirring up in your loins in the future. For the moment you made a really hard decision, but hopefully one you will find fulfilling moving forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm exceptionally late in responding, but I love this post. Thank you for posting! And same for Xan's post.

For all of us who will start a program this fall and have some doubts (like myself) about whether we will succeed, here are some encouraging words a friend sent me a few days ago. I mean this is something we all know already, but I thought it was great to have someone outside of academia sum it up like this:

(So this is for all of us here!)