Urch Forums

How much math does a strategy PhD require at a minimum at a good university?

john125689

I guess it probably requires multivariate calculus at the very minimum.  However, what other math does it require?  Does it require linear algebra, differential equations and real analysis?  Does it require calculus-based probability and calculus-based statistics?  Does it require matrix algebra?  Any links to such information?

I'd say yes to most of those, at least in my program and others I've looked at. Many PhD programs list at least some of their core course requirements on their website that will help you determine the types of math classes you'll take. Econometrics and/or multivariate analysis are most common; some programs are more math-heavy whereas other programs expect you to learn on your own as needed for your research. Some strategy programs are very economics-focused whereas some are more behavioral (e.g., understanding CEO personality or behavior), and that may to some extent determine the types of courses they require. Many programs will have some sort of math camp prior to starting your coursework to review the basics and get everyone up to speed. 

• 5 months later...

Hard to say. Math helps with understanding the logic behind the stats. Is super advance math necessary? probably not. Does it Hurt? definitely not. may also be based on what type of research methods you want to use. Math might help to open the door to some alternative and more advance quant methods.