Urch Forums

Econ PhD Profile Evaluation

YellowZ

Hi all! I hope you are reading this in good health.

Type of Undergrad: BA in Econ (Hons) (unranked)

Undergrad GPA: 3.98

Type of Grad: MPhil in Econ Research (PhD track) at Cambridge

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 167Q (87%)

Math Courses: No pure math course

Econ Courses: PhD: Micro I, Micro II, Macro I, Macro II, Econometrics; Undergrad: Micro I (A), Micro II (A), Econometrics (A), Econometrics of Cross-Section & Panel Data (A), Intro to Game Theory (A), and several econ elective courses (All A)

Other Courses: N/A

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from undergrad thesis advisor, 2 from full-time professors who I RA for (1 has a PhD from Duke and the other from Minnesota). I assume all of the letters are strong since I have worked with them for at least one year

Research Experience: Honors thesis, RA for 2 years on gender and development in multiple (unreputable) research institutes, RA for 3 months in a well-known international development organization. I also co-authored 2 published papers (Q2 according to SJR)

Teaching Experience: TA for 2 years for Micro I, Mathematics for Econ, Statistics for Econ

Research Interests: Applied Micro, Development

My questions are:

1. I am currently enrolled in MPhil Econ Research at Cambridge (PhD track) starting this fall. Some advise that I should apply for another PhD this year before finishing my master's so that I don't have to take a gap year and widen my options for PhD. What do you think?

2. Does taking no pure math course disadvantage my application despite having rigorous math training in Cambridge?

3. I plan to self-study real analysis through lectures video. Will this help on my application if I state this on my essay?

4. Do I have a shot at T10 US schools? How about T20? By this I also consider their Applied Econ PhDs. I also plan to apply for Oxford, LSE, UCL, UBC, and U of T. Are my chances better at these programs instead?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by YellowZ

• YellowZ changed the title to Econ PhD Profile Evaluation
  • 4 weeks later...

No pure math course is a problem. Rigorous application of math is different from rigorous math training. Even applied econ program would like to see math on transcript

There are many online math programs you can take and earn a transcript. Even if these are no name places, at least they still signal you did formal math.

Go search for them, they're many. Take them. If you need help with choosing which, let me know, or PM