Urch Forums

30+ years old candidates with interest in Economics? What are my chances?

oldguynewleaf

Yes, yes and yes, it is always requested. However, legally, it cannot be required. You can ask for an alternative way to identify your application. You can write 01/01/1901 in your birth date and then in an additional information section, say that you'd prefer not to share your birth date. If they reject you because of this, you can take them to court. In practice, no one that I know of has done this, but it is the law. So if you have a problem releasing your birth date, you cannot be required to by law.

From a legal perspective I agree that that is correct, but from a practical perspective, unless you are rich with tons of money for a lawyer, I have no idea how you would prove this. Even with a good lawyer, there are so many groups for rejection that it would really be hard to prove that this was the reason why. I think you would need to find a group of older candidates and a group of younger candidates, and show that controlling for whatever other factors, the older ones had worse outcomes.

Right. Econ professors can subtract, so they'll know your age after reading your CV, whether you declare your birthdate or not. But, luckily, there are lots of grad schools out there. Why waste energy debating the point? Go to a program that wants and supports you.

Anyway, from my perspective, 30 is young. And it's not far above the median age for econ grad students. Worry about more important things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in a very similar situation, and I actually posted a few days ago my questions, to which nobody yet replied. If somebody could give me advise about what I should do, I will really appreciate. My more detailed post was here:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/110728-please-advise-upf-pse-m1-tse-m1-lse-unusual-profile.html

I am leaning towards European masters, because (a) I did not realize how crutual was the amount of math on the transcript. I am only taking real analysis as non-degree student now in Spring. For US programs that is not usefull till next admissions cycle. That would only make me more old by that time. (b) European programs starting at masters level admit more people, so it will be easier for somebody with less than solid/nontraditional profile to make that cut - and then proof his/her worth at the second stage. I feel that unusual aspect of the application will undervalue the applicant in US PhD programs. © Putting career and life on hold at this age would be worth for me only for something solid and worthwile. So I am into rakings and reputations. After having completed it, as it is I will have less time to move up professionally. So better start as high as possible. I feel that I would rather go for higher ranked European programs than downgrade my ambitions in US programs. (d) Lifestyle - I have very strong preferences by now, and where I spend a chunk of life in my 30s seems more important now than when I was in my 20s for example. Now if I am not in NY - I would rather be in Europe. So if Columbia or NYU do not take me - my choice is made for me.

So can anybody find flaws with my reasoning till it is too late? And then if you could also advise me on UPF/PSE M1/TSE M1 - that would be very helpful, as I will have to give answer to UPF in a couple of weeks. Since UPF masters is one year - would I be saving time in how long PhD will take? PSE and TSE will be two years for masters only.

The idea was that if after one year at UPF I can go to a top 10-ish in US or LSE - I would do that. If I can not and assuming I can do PhD at UPF - I will do it there. I am not very certain I want academic career at this point - but I do not want to exclude that possibility. Otherwise I am in World Bank now - and can come back or go to a similar place.

I was not thinking to get another BA. I just took a bunch of math courses as noon-degree student. Now in Spring I am taking Real Analysis and Differential Equations as non-degree student while working. I am already admitted to UPF Econ MSc (I was able to show them that I was now enrolled in math). I think I can also go for TSE M1. But which is better in my situation - One year masters at UPF - or M1 (two year masters) at TSE? I was thinking to apply to Oxford too. I applied to LSE but do not yet have the answer.