Urch Forums

Columbia (SIPA) vs. HEI---advice please!

jennicha56

Hello everyone,

I have a huge dilemma about graduate schools. Hope to hear some advice from you all :) I have been accepted to MIA program at School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) at Columbia University in New York with no money at all, and also to HEI (Masters in Development Studies) with full scholarship. I am interested in both development and international affairs. My career goal is not set totally but most likely i would like to work in an international organization that advocates for human rights. I would like to do a PhD at some point. What would you suggest? would the HEI experience worth turning down Columbia? Would it hurt to choose HEI over Columbia in my field? Personally I am inclined to go to Columbia for its academic reputation but the cost is just too much ($57000/ year for two years)...so if you think it does not make much of a difference to go to HEI for free, i would probably just go there. (I need a push to decide!) Otherwise my parents can help with the first year at Columbia but it is hard for me to let them do so because it is so much money. (I am an international student and am not eligible for big loans.)

Thank you very much for your time!

:)

J.

• 11 months later...

You would be able to get work with international organizations either with SIPA degree or HEI. But since you want to do PhD at some point, bear in mind that nothing you will do in SIPA will be relevant for PhD. At least most PhDs. Certainly in PhD in Economics and also most PhDs in Development. So you would have to re-do another masters at that point. If you are sure that PhD is what you want, I would not advise to spend time - and especially money at SIPA now. Apply directly for PhD - wherever you want to do it. That may seam a big time investment now - but spending 2 years at SIPA, and then another 4-5-6 years for PhD will add up to even more time.

HEI has some disciplinary masters - which in theory could be relevant to PhD coursework, if you do that PhD with them - and possibly at some other school - but within europe.