Urch Forums

McGill Vs University of Waterloo for PhD in Electrical Engineering

shantoos

Ok, So I got the news lately from two professors in McGill university and University of Waterloo that they have accepted my application and I will be receiving the admission package very soon. I am interested in finding out which school excells and which one I should attend. The professors have a similar research profile in terms of number of publications and I am truly baffled which one to choose. The admissions are for May so I have to decide as soon as possible and find an apartment for rent (there's a huge waitlist for good apartments in both cities). I have been to the campus of both schools and I have no preferance in that regards. Although I prefer Montreal lifestyle I prefer to be closer to Toronto. I'd appreciate your comments, specially which school is better known in U.S and might provide me with better opportunities in future.

• 2 weeks later...
I am an electrical enginer (I actually studied at Polytechnic) and McGill is way better and more recognize than Waterloo. McGill was named the best university in Canada many years in a row. But it is also a question of preferences.

Goo luck

Thanks but still many ppl say waterloo is the best in Canada? I don't know which option 2 go with and if a PHD from waterloo or Mcgill is really going 2 affect my chances for a position after graduation

I have been accepted to both Columbia (MS) and Cornell (MEng) programs. Which one is a better program? I am undecided about doing a PhD right now. I am looking forward to. Will appreciate a reply.

Congratulations man, please share ur background with us, I'd say Cornell is definitely the better school for EE, Columbia is more known for humanities than engineering:tup: