Urch Forums

How much time does ETS spend scoring your essay?

Erin

I'm curious. You guys spend a lot of time preparing for the essays, and you spend an hour or hour and fifteen minutes writing your essays. How much time do you think ETS spends, on average, reading, evaluating, and scoring your essay (time per essay)?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The GRE information says, as I recall, that essays will be scored by 2 independent graders, so humans, not computers.

Actually, that length of time to grade essays sounds about right. If you've ever graded essays yourself you know that the more you grade the more quickly you can identify good ones from bad ones. The difference in a 6, a 5 and a 4, based on sample essays contained in GRE prep material, is pretty marked, so I'd guess after you'd seen thousands of these, you'd be able to spot a 6 or a 5, etc. pretty quickly. Plus the essays are not very long, so wouldn't take long to read.

• 3 months later...

well the essays are evaluated by the comuter n after that by two people... n if the 2 people give different scores, a third person evalates them too. So, I think even if hey are spending 4 mins..each essay gets a total of atleast 8 mins...so I guess its good enugh n they are supposed to be reliable.

Garfield82

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...