Urch Forums

Scientist research

pgarg00

Generally scientists enter their field with the goal of doing important new research and accept as their colleagues those with similar motivation. Therefore, when any scientist wins renown as an expounder of science to general audiences, most other scientists conclude that this popularizer should no longer be regarded as a true colleague.

The explanation offered above for the low esteem in which scientific popularizers are held by research scientists assumes that

(A) serious scientific research is not a solitary activity, but relies on active cooperation among a group of colleagues

(B) research scientists tend not to regard as colleagues those scientists whose renown they envy

© a scientist can become a famous popularizer without having completed any important research

(D) research scientists believe that those who are well known as popularizers of science are not motivated to do important new research

(E) no important new research can be accessible to or accurately assessed by those who are not themselves scientists

conclusion : scientist regard those as their colleagues who are guided by a passion for research... my evaluations are -->

(A) serious scientific research is not a solitary activity, but relies on active cooperation among a group of colleagues true but this argument doest act as an assumption to the explaination in the problem

(B) research scientists tend not to regard as colleagues those scientists whose renown they envy this is a mere restatement... 'there is some language issue here ;-)' anyways doesn't affect my evaluation

© a scientist can become a famous popularizer without having completed any important research this can serve as a valid assumption for the provided explanation

(D) research scientists believe that those who are well known as popularizers of science are not motivated to do important new research this can also be the answer to the problem

(E) no important new research can be accessible to or accurately assessed by those who are not themselves scientists out of context

choosing between C and D... i will lay my bet on C.

• 5 months later...

(D)

Premise :

Generally scientists enter their field with the goal of doing important new research and accept as their colleagues those with similar motivation.

If scientists stop treating the award winners as their colleagues, then they (scientists) must be under the impression that award winners are not motivated to do serious work.