Urch Forums

experienced and had experienced ..difference ?

dhanaji

Erin,

Would you please explain me why the answer is B and not E.

Just three years ago, the lute, a stringed instrument invented in the tenth century, has experienced a rapid rise in popularity due to renewed interest in acoustic music.

A has experienced a rapid rise in popularity

B experienced a rapid rise in popularity

C has experienced what was a rapid rise in popularity

D the popularity of which experienced a rapid rise

E had experienced a rapid rise in popularity

thanks,

-Dhanaji

Hello again, Dhanaji!

The phrase three years ago establishes simple past, right? Right. Therefore, we need to use experienced, not had experienced (what we call the "past perfect" or what I like to call the "more past").

Remember, since the past perfect is "more past," we necessarily need two verbs in the sentence: one in the past and the other in the past perfect or the "more past."

But even having two verbs in the past is not sufficient to invoke the past perfect. There is at least one explanation in an older Official Guide that say something like "the past perfect is not necessary here since from the context of the sentence, the order of the actions is clear."

Finally, as I mentioned in class, people tend to "overchoose" the past perfect. So, when in doubt, go with the simple past; you'll end up right more often that not!!

Again, good luck on Monday!

Hope that helps!

Please post further questions here.

Erin

Please search this newsgroup for FAQs & search TestMagic.com from the bottom of every page.

TestMagic.com

San Francisco, CA USA

• 6 years later...

How about this? Is this right (observe that i took that 'comma' off which is next to "the tenth century". even now, if the answer is same what is the use of that comma. i mean does that comma has any importance. (sorry, if the question is very silly)

Just three years ago, the lute, a stringed instrument invented in the tenth century has experienced a rapid rise in popularity due to renewed interest in acoustic music.

How about this? Is this right (observe that i took that 'comma' off which is next to "the tenth century". even now, if the answer is same what is the use of that comma. i mean does that comma has any importance. (sorry, if the question is very silly)

Just three years ago, the lute, a stringed instrument invented in the tenth century has experienced a rapid rise in popularity due to renewed interest in acoustic music.

yes comma is necessary it separates the modifier a stringed instrument invented in the tenth century