Urch Forums

SC- queries

Hi,

i have couple of questions.. it would be great help to me if some one can resolve my queries

OG/10-Q259. During Roosevelt's years in office Black Americans began voting for Democrats rather than Republicans in national elections, but Black support for Democrats at the state and local levels developed only after when civil rights legislation was supported by Harry Truman.

(A) developed only after when civil rights legislation was supported by Harry Truman

(B) developed only after when Harry Truman supported civil rights legislation

© developed only after Harry Truman's support of civil rights legislation

(D) develops only at the time after the supporting of civil rights legislation by Harry Truman

(E) developed only after there being Harry Truman's support of civil rights legislation

For this question , C is correct answer, but i feel support of is awkward and it should have been support to.

And thats one of the reason i rejected C (which of course is wrong).

Can any one tell me why it shouldnt be support to? in option ©.

Q Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads.

(A) dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads

(B) dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads do

© maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as paved roads do

(D) maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as it does for paved roads

(E) to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads

Official answer is B, but why B is correct when as much to is unidiomatic compared to as much as...

I went with this approach:

C/D/E are ruled out because "costs" are singular where as roads are plural. So we are left with A / B.

In B , as much to is unidiomatic, so i ruled out option B also. (but B is the answer). Can any one explain me why B is correct when in first place as much as idiomatic than as much to?

Hi,

i have couple of questions.. it would be great help to me if some one can resolve my queries

OG/10-Q259. During Roosevelt's years in office Black Americans began voting for Democrats rather than Republicans in national elections, but Black support for Democrats at the state and local levels developed only after when civil rights legislation was supported by Harry Truman.

(A) developed only after when civil rights legislation was supported by Harry Truman

(B) developed only after when Harry Truman supported civil rights legislation

© developed only after Harry Truman's support of civil rights legislation

(D) develops only at the time after the supporting of civil rights legislation by Harry Truman

(E) developed only after there being Harry Truman's support of civil rights legislation

For this question , C is correct answer, but i feel support of is awkward and it should have been support to.

And thats one of the reason i rejected C (which of course is wrong).

Can any one tell me why it shouldnt be support to? in option ©.

[Perry] All the options, other than C, are wrong. "support to" would've definitely improved the sentence. C may look awkward, but it is the best option here.

Q Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads.

(A) dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads

(B) dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads do

© maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as paved roads do

(D) maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as it does for paved roads

(E) to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads

Official answer is B, but why B is correct when as much to is unidiomatic compared to as much as...

I went with this approach:

C/D/E are ruled out because "costs" are singular where as roads are plural. So we are left with A / B.

In B , as much to is unidiomatic, so i ruled out option B also. (but B is the answer). Can any one explain me why B is correct when in first place as much as idiomatic than as much to?

C/D/E are incorrect because we are comparing roads with their maintenance, not because costs is wrong. costs is used correctly as it talks about "maintenance of roads" (singular), not "roads" (plural).

A is wrong too, because we are comparing roads with maintenance.

B is correct, as it correctly compares cost of maintaining dirt roads to cost of maintaining paved roads. Idiom here is still as much as (ignore 'to maintain').

1. 'support of' is not a common usage (the noun form). We often see the verb form (be supported by someone, or someone support(s) something). C does sound a bit awkward, but it is preferrred to the passive voice (as in A). In the end, C is shortest of the five choices

2. Per perry, the idiom is 'as .. as' for comparison. The 'maintaining' (the ing format) in A is problematic.