Urch Forums

Contrast to vs. contrast with

Contrast can be used in both the idioms "In contrast to" and "contrast with" :

"In Contrast to"

In contrast to my opponent, I believe that town funds should be used to buils a new library

"Contrast with"

His low-key speaking style contrasted with his partner's more passionate oratory

If you encounter "In contrast to" and "In contrast with" in the answer choices, then you can safely eliminate "In contrast with" because it is unidiomatic [ Kaplan professes ].

I am not sure but I guess you are confusing "contrast to/with" with "compare to/with", rather mixing both of them.

I thought "contrast to" is correct, but when I googled I found "contrast with" is used in same sense as "Contrast to"

Check this link, and look for "contrast with" Oxford University Press: OUP USA Home==

As far has "compare to/with" goes.

Compare to -> used for unlike things

Compare with -> used for like things

I used to often forget this rule, the way I have drilled it in my brain is "abcd....rstuv" i.e. t & u so if it is "compare to", comparison should be between unlike things.

Hope this helps.

*contrast with* is correct usage and more prominent than *contrast to* both when *contrast* is used as a noun and as a transitive verb.

This link provides much needed information: § 76. contrast. 3. Word Choice. The American Heritage Book of English Usage. 1996

contrastThe noun contrast may be followed by between, with, or to: There is a sharp contrast between his earlier and later works. In contrast with (or less frequently, to) his early works, the later plays are brittle and highly theatrical. When contrast is used as a transitive verb, both with and to may follow, though with is more common: He contrasts the naturalistic early plays with (or to) the brittle later comedies