Urch Forums

Most Comprehensive Resource

M.Stephenson.2010

Hey everyone,

I've been reading countless reviews on the different materials one can use to prepare for the GMAT and have found that most of the commentary is regarding the quality of the actual practice tests/questions that accompany the books.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which book has the most comprehensive introduction to the material itself. I'd like to get up to speed on the material before worrying about jumping into practice tests.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hi M.Stephenson.2010,

I replied a similar answer to Hyperactive on another thread. I've been studying for the GMAT since around last September. I haven't taken it yet, but I have ordered countless GMAT books through inter-library loan at my local library (probably over 20 of them), and have had the opportunity to look at all of them.

By far, the best ones for learning what you need to know for the Quant section are the EZ Solutions books. I know the title sounds hokey, but the set is amazing. The author goes into tremendous detail and the books are very well organized, to the point of being a fine science.

I am applying to go to Cambridge for the 2010-2011 year and have been combing resources to try to find the absolute hardest content possible, because many of the books such as Princeton Review and Kaplan seem to be geared more toward people who are not shooting for more than an average score. The Manhattan GMAT set books look like absolute childs play next to EZ, for instance.

The EZ solutions books run the gamut from teaching easy concepts, to very difficult, obscure ones.

In terms of one volume books, Barron's seems a little more sophisticated than some of the others, but still nothing compared to EZ for Quant.

I have also recently bought Project GMAT. I haven't read it yet, but it is devoted to Prob, Stats, Perms, and Combos, concepts that many other books don't cover in detail. Of course, the Official Guides are must-haves, but don't offer in depth explanations, other than the answer solutions. Hope this helps!

Jayhawk

Hey Jayhawk,

That does help a lot actually, thanks a lot, I do appreciate it.

I have too been hearing great things about the EZ Solutions package and I am on the same page as you with respect to wanting to achieve much more than an average score. My goal is 720 (ambitious, but not extraordinary) and so I need to prepare with the proper material.

That being said, I'm the type of person who leaves no stone unturned, and so I'm worried that EZ Solutions alone (for quant, of course), in combination with the OG (and I'm considering going with Kaplan Advanced, as well), may not be enough. You mentioned that you were going with additional resources as well; is this because EZ Solutions are insufficient or are you simply looking to strengthen weak areas. That is, is there something that EZ Solutions is missing that I will need to address otherwise.

On a different note, what are your thoughts on materials for the verbal section? I've read mixed reviews on PR's Verbal Workout and haven't found any other source that appears adequate.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi M.Stephenson.2010,

I'm glad to use some of my knowledge to be of help.

I am shooting for a score in the mid-700s. I was only able to get the more common EZ Solutions books through Interlibrary loan, so I have not yet looked at the Logic and Stats book or Math Strategies, which I have on order from Amazon.com, but based on what I have seen so far, I am assuming the entire set is adequate for a very high quant score.

Since I have been ordering books in a piecemeal way through inter-library loan, I have been trolling Amazon.com to find ones to request.

I got as many books as I could through Inter-library loan, and then from the list of books I could not get, I am purchasing a few that are very highly recommended on Amazon.com and which I feel are a little bit specialized and will help me get down to the nitty gritty. When I saw a reasonably priced used, but like new Project GMAT on Amazon.com I snapped it up. I am willing to pay a little extra now and possibly overcompensate in the hopes of just taking the GMAT 1 time, but the extra books might not be necessary.

I don't have a good strategy for the verbal part of the GMAT. I wish the EZ Solutions Verbal books had already been released, because I'm sure I would use them. I have gone through the Manhattan Review Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning and Reading Comp books. I found the Critical Reasoning book to be especially enlightening.

I found a good price on a like-new Sentence Correction Bible. I haven't read it yet, but it looks pretty good. The reviews on Amazon are very good. Flipping through it, it looks like it runs the gamut from extremely simple to complex, with many practice questions.

I'm also going to go through the Official Guide Books and go through the answers with a fine tooth comb for one last big push. If you end up getting the Verbal Workout, I'd like to know what you think of it. It was one that I was not able to get through Inter-library loan, and it is among a group of ones that can be purchased fairly cheaply used on Amazon.

Some other general books I've looked at are Princeton Review Cracking the Gmat, Kaplan Premier and Comprehensive Programs (basically the same content), Gmat 800, and GMAT Cat Sucess (I got all of these for 35 cents at a library book sale). GMAT 800 is a little eccentric, and the others left me hungry for more specialized content.

I also looked at the Princeton Review Math Workout which looks good. I have the Math Workout from Sapienti on order, which I am very interested in seeing because the description says that it contains extremely difficult problems with the goal of over-preparing readers.

I also had Ace the Gmat through Interlibrary loan, which does not go into depth to teach concepts, but has excellent practice questions.

I'm also going to follow some of the guidance from this guys strategy . . .

http://beatthegmat.blogspot.com/2005/08/debriefing-from-guy-who-scored-790.html

That is how I found out about test magic. If the link doesn't work, go to google, and type in GMAT and 790.

I'd like to know your thoughts on verbal . . .

Jayhawk

Hey, thanks for the read! A lot of great insights there.

I'm in the process of putting together all of the resources I will need, and will then begin studying for the quantitative portion of the exam.

Once I begin with the verbal studying, and have some opinions regarding resources, I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks again!

No problem, glad to help.

BTW, this weekend, I looked at the Math Workout by Sapienti. I haven't done any of the problems yet, but it looks like a FANTASTIC practice problem book, a real jewel.

An excellent quant strategy, I think would be to go through all the EZ Solutions books to learn the basics, then go through OG with a fine-tooth comb, and use the Math Workout by Sapienti for extra practice problems.

The practice problems in the Sapienti workout looked difficult in a very good way, as in, I don't know where else I might find so many. However, it is not for anyone who needs hand-holding. The books is chock full of problems, around 800 of them, but with only 25 explanations. The back of the book says it's for anyone who wants to get the best possible score, but I would amend that to say, not for beginners. Anyone who uses it would need to have enough of a foundation to recognize why they got a fairly difficult problem wrong. But for those who are ready for it, it definitely looks like 99th percentile material. Sapienti even looks a little better than EZ Advanced partly due to the huge volume of problems contained in it and the sheer variety. And it is fairly reasonably priced, around $17, I think.

I also went through Project GMAT last night. The nice thing about the book is that it seems to kind of boil down all the stat/prob/perm/comb formulas into an organized, progressive volume, with some relatively easy to understand practice problems interspersed. I have seen some some of the content elsewhere, for instance, in some of the resources listed in the link above from the guy who got a 790. I would not sweat it if you don't get Project GMAT. There are not that many problems in it for one thing. I'm going to go through the problems in it repeatedly to simply get an intuitive feel for the formulas. You could just find some links on math educational websites about Perms/Combs for instance, if you need extra practice.

I haven't gotten EZ Logic and Stats in the mail yet, but when I get it, I will come back and tell you how it compares to Project GMAT, so that you will know if EZ seems to be enough.

Sorry for the double post,

That's exactly what I have been doing, putting together the total package of resources I need. Now I am starting to relax in the knowledge that I can get down to the nitty gritty here at the end and just concentrate on what I need to do to achieve what I want to on the test. My goals is to have a much low-hanging fruit on the test as possible, and only take it once.

Jayhawk,

It seems that we are in very similar situations. Personally, I have always done well academically, but to excel, I really need to know where I am going and what it will take to get there. Hence, I have been putting a lot of work into simply figuring out what materials I need, so that just like you, I can get down to business knowing that if I master everything I've covered, then I should only have to take the test once.

Definitely keep me posted on the EZ Solutions Logic and Stats book. I'm buying all of the EZ Solutions book (and now that you've mentioned it, will likely purchase the Math Workout by Sapienti), but won't be cracking down for a few more weeks. Knowing if Project GMAT is worth the time/purchase would certainly be helpful.

When do you plan to take the test; If your not applying to study until the 2010/2011 academic year, you likely have some time on your hands. I'm hoping 20-25 hours a week for about 3 months, perhaps 3.5, will be adequate for me. I don't plan on applying for quite some time actually, but would prefer to put the test behind me now so that I can spend the coming years doing what I would consider, "more value-added" activities.

Well, fortunately I read in a book that the GMAT can only be taken once every 31 days. I am planning on applying to Cambridge for their first round deadline in October to be eligible for as many scholarships as possible. I noticed that at the testing center closest to me, the test dates in the August/September range are filling up quickly.

Therefore, I am thinking about taking the test in early to mid-July, just in case I feel the need to take it again. I don't think I will need to, but I like to have a contingency plan.

I've read in books that it is a good idea to take the test as soon as possible before starting to prepare applications. Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you look at it, I decided to apply to Cambridge just after their scholarship deadline passed last year, so that is why I have had so much time to prepare for the GMAT.

I did very well in school, but I never considered myself to be especially good at math. I was always thought of as being more on the creative side.

However, I work for Government contracts, currently for the Dept of Education, ironically. Since I do loan calculations everyday, I do use some math, however, it's been ten years since I went to college. My undergrad degree was from a lesser known school, and my major was Communication.

Needless to say, I really feel the need to "Wow" admissions with my Quant score especially. So, I am taking the GMAT perhaps later in the process than might be recommended, but I had to do things my own way. Hopefully, by the time I take it, I will have overcompensated.

The one positive in it all is that my non-traditional background for an MBA will mean that I am not competing for a spot amongst the pools of people such as Accountants, and Financial Analyst types, but I have to show that I am not a high risk on the math side, which I feel I can do.

When I stop and think about it, I feel a little nervous knowing that I could just have May and June left to study, if all goes as planned, but then again, I am perhaps selling myself short on how much progress I have made. I think the difficulty at this point could be compared to someone steadily climbing a mountain, and having to put in their last ounce of strength to make it the last small, yet most difficult and taxing distance to the top. But I will have to just dig in and get the job done. Some of the math is becoming second nature to me by now, I'm starting to understand the basic logic behind it.

For instance, sadly, it took me 6 months to understand finding average rate. Suddenly, after reading all kinds of methods to calculate it, I realized my own method for calculating it.

It would be nice to have the GMAT over with. For one thing, I get great deals on the local semi-annual library sale. I live in a college town, so many students donate their used textbooks to the sale. The last day is a giveaway day. I went down my list of items in tiers, buying what I really wanted, as the prices went down, then on the giveaway day, I took literally 1000s of dollars worth of used business textbooks. Once I am done with the GMAT and have my application(s) to business school(s) submitted, then I can go through my textbooks and prepare so that I can do my highest quality work at school.

I will keep you posted on EZ Logic and Stats. I should have it very soon.

"For instance, sadly, it took me 6 months to understand finding average rate. Suddenly, after reading all kinds of methods to calculate it, I realized my own method for calculating it."

Honestly, there is nothing sad about that. If concepts aren't making sense in the comfort of your home (or the library, or what have you), they certainly won't make sense on test day. Doing whatever it takes to master the concepts now will pay off later.

Your definitely playing it safe with the early testing date. I'm rolling the dice and hoping my first test will be adequate, and therefore will be booking it in late August. If it doesn't work out, I likely won't end up taking it for another year, until I graduate (I'm third year UG).

I too come from a smaller school and feel I need a strong GMAT to compensate. My grades are stellar for quant-oriented courses, but its easy to dismiss them considering I'm not being educated at a "top tier" institution.

Just keep in mind that there is much more to an application to the GMAT. Yes, its important and yes, a great score will help any application, but it will help you rest easier at night knowing its only a small piece to the puzzle.

All the best with the studying, and I will keep you posted on my progress and anything along the way that may prove valuable.

Yes, I would really like to hear about your progress.

BTW, I thought of one other tip. If you buy a book new from Amazon, you have the option of returning it in the same condition within 30 days of the delivery date, and I know that at least with Supersaver, they will also pay your return postage if you go to the website and print off their postage label. Very easy. Hypothetically, if you were to buy an EZ set or Math Workout for Sapienti and decide one or more book is not what you wanted, you can just send it back, basically no questions asked. I've done that myself.

I really have no idea what my odds are of being accepted to go to Cambridge. I have my heart set on going there though. One of the teachers is on the board of directors of the group that up until recently, owned the company that I work for. I would love to study with him.

I worry that I don't have enough official management experience, although I have worked in very high stress situations, for Immigration for instance. But I really believe my application as a total package will be compelling. Real people, of all different types are accepted. They aren't robots.

Are you planning on going straight to grad school after graduation?

Hey Jayhawk,

Thanks for the Amazon tip. I'm definitely going to be putting that into practice. I know that towards the end of my studying I will be getting nervous and will likely make purchases just to make sure I have everything I need.

With respect to your admissions, fortunately B-School, exactly as you said, are looking for individuals from all walks of life. You learn predominantly from your peers, and so they certainly want a group of diverse individuals. I think more than direct management experience, they seek those who are leaders. They want to develop leaders, and so whether or not you have the experience yet is not the issue, its whether you have the potential to thrive in environments that require strong management skills. A less typical, and more interesting application is always a plus for Ad-Coms that read hundreds of applications about the typical everyday business manager, so I wouldn't worry.

I definitely don't plan to go to grad school right away. I really don't think I'd benefit from an MBA without first gaining real world experience, and I know Ad-Coms aren't all that receptive to undergrads so I'd rather wait and hopefully have a better chance of admittance to some of the top schools. I do know however, that I'd like to begin my MBA within 2-4 years of graduation at the latest, and so I can write the GMAT now and it will still be valid for another 5 years.

Also, on a different note, I've just put together a list of all the different free practice CATS. Any opinions you have on which practice tests are worthwhile, and which aren't would be appreciated. I intend to practice with the Kaplan, GMATPrep and Manhattan tests for sure but there seem to be a wealth of other free tests out there. I'd prefer not to waste time on them if they aren't adequate preparation.

I don't know much about practice tests, but I want to find out what is out there. BTW, I mis-informed you about Amazon postage. I am sending a few things back to Amazon and the cost of postage is being deducted out of my refund amount. Still worth it IMO after how many books I've gotten so cheaply through Interlibrary loan.

I got EZ Math Strategies and Logic and Stats, and the Critical Reasoning Bible. I don't have much time right now, so I will come back later to give a more indepth analysis of it all. I am sending EZ Math Strategies back. Let's just say, it looked a little too "EZ" for the money, but might be good for someone who is at an earlier stage than me.

Be back later.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...