Urch Forums

Please rate my essay response and I'll rate yours

anzorm

All college and university students would benefit from spending at least one semester studying in a foreign country.

Studying abroad as part of one’s education at any level can be a very important step towards increasing the quality of their studies and broadening their viewpoints, among other benefits.

While it is perfectly feasible to receive high-quality education without leaving a country, going away for a semester or two can be beneficial in more ways than one. First of all, experiencing the education system and the teaching methods in another country, can contribute positively to creativity and the learning process of a student. Having myself studied abroad for a year, I can claim that experiencing the education system of my own country and another country, allowed me to amalgamate the diverse knowledge I received at different institutions.

Furthermore, many claim that one of the important aspects of attending a college or university is the opportunity to meet new people, peers, as well as the instructors, which might provide better future education and career opportunities. Therefore, widening a pool of contacts from another country might significantly increase the future prospects of any student.

Finally, I believe that being open-minded and familiar with other cultures is an important precondition for being a better thinker. Living in another country, if the primary language in that country is different from one’s own, can allow for mastering another language, and bilingualism has been proven to improve the functioning of the brain, along with the obvious benefits of allowing to become familiar with the professional literature on one’s field of study from the original source.

In conclusion, having an international experience is paramount in achieving success in any field, as students absorb new knowledge from different sources and in different setting. Having a positive attitude and an open mind to learn as much as possible in often unfamiliar ways, can only benefit a student even further.

----

Please be as critical as you can and tell me what score out of 6 do you think I'd get with this essay response. Thank you in advance :) if you will post your essay after your evaluation, I'll grade it for you and provide my humble opinion about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Your essay has very strong points and reasons...also express your vocab strength beautifully...you can improve a bit by giving some live examples..may be Amartya Sen the famous economist, how he has benefited our country, India...or other relevant examples like Gandhiji how he used his study of abroad was used in Independence of India..which can exemplify your points more soundly. Your essay will score more than 4 surely. Hope u find this helpful.

Hey,

Your essay has very strong points and reasons...also express your vocab strength beautifully...you can improve a bit by giving some live examples..may be Amartya Sen the famous economist, how he has benefited our country, India...or other relevant examples like Gandhiji how he used his study of abroad was used in Independence of India..which can exemplify your points more soundly. Your essay will score more than 4 surely. Hope u find this helpful.

Hey. Thank you for your reply. I already took my GRE and got 4.5 on analytical writing section, but its nice to see that someone took the time to reply to me. If you need your essay be rated, feel free to post it here and I'll do my best in providing feedback :)

Hello, friend! This is a good essay. I will give you some tips because you asked for them.

Remember that the subconscious minds' of the people grading your essays are always working. As a result, they may drop your essay scores even when minor grammar errors shouldn't be a big deal.

Make sure that you know all of the basic grammar mistakes people make.

My biggest concern with your essay is that the very first sentence has an obvious grammar error. This is problematic because it creates an impression with the reader.

"Studying abroad as part of one’s education at any level can be a very important step towards increasing the quality of their studies and broadening their viewpoints, among other benefits."

"one's" does not match with "their." You start out referring to one person and then you change the pronouns to plural. This is a simple mistake that will lower the quality of what you write. Make sure to keep your subject and its pronouns consistent. This is important in high level writing. High level decision makers take writers who use pronouns consistently more seriously.

Other than that, good job!

Pay

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations.......best of luck for the future..Actually I have already posted but no suggestions received as yet...anyway ..my Gre is in a week...so just a bit nervous-ed ..I would highly appreciate if u share ur experience and when was ur GRE??..How was ur other papers??

Hey, good luck on your GRE. I posted a short description of my experience and my scores in this thread: http://www.www.urch.com/forums/just-finished-my-gre/143396-158v-155q.htmlyou can check it out if interested.

As I mentioned I got 4.5 on my analytical writing.

Hello, friend! This is a good essay. I will give you some tips because you asked for them.

Remember that the subconscious minds' of the people grading your essays are always working. As a result, they may drop your essay scores even when minor grammar errors shouldn't be a big deal.

Make sure that you know all of the basic grammar mistakes people make.

My biggest concern with your essay is that the very first sentence has an obvious grammar error. This is problematic because it creates an impression with the reader.

"Studying abroad as part of one’s education at any level can be a very important step towards increasing the quality of their studies and broadening their viewpoints, among other benefits."

"one's" does not match with "their." You start out referring to one person and then you change the pronouns to plural. This is a simple mistake that will lower the quality of what you write. Make sure to keep your subject and its pronouns consistent. This is important in high level writing. High level decision makers take writers who use pronouns consistently more seriously.

Other than that, good job!

Pay

Thank you so much for taking the time and replying to me. For some reason I thought that using "their" was acceptable even in this case, as a way to avoid using the gender-specific "he" or "she". But I might be wrong. Your comments are well-taken. I think I did ok on my analytical writing section. I thought time was more than enough. I scored 4.5 on that section.