Urch Forums

Evaluate Mine & I'll Evaluate Yours!

Claim: Researchers should not limit their investigations to only those areas in which they expect to discover something that has an immediate, practical application.

Reason: It is impossible to predict the outcome of a line of research with any certainty.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.

There is no denying the fruitful lives we live are owed largely to research and development: Internet, vehicles, even comfortable chairs have been studied and practically perfected. These technologies were responses to demand. As such, research is best applied to the issues that affect us today.

We live in a time when many discoveries and inventions save and improve lives every day for those with diabetes, heart disease, and AIDs. Not long ago, these illnesses were surely fatal and now many lead full, happy lives despite such a condition. Still, there are many solutions needed. Type 1 diabetes and AIDs cannot be cured yet and continue to deteriorate quality of life. Additionally, everyone knows someone with cancer, for which a cure is desperately needed. With so many problems we know need solutions, it would be irresponsible to conduct research without focus.

In this day and age, we are also gravely aware of the dangers of research and development, from the Atom bomb to the horrifying studies conducted on Holocaust prisoners. Though illegal, drugs are still getting more lethal while more advanced weapons are shipped across borders. Bombs and drugs come from a lab, where scientists often inadvertently discover something new, which can be used for something bad. Focused on society’s current problems, though, researchers have a clear responsibility to produce beneficial solutions.

Still, it must be acknowledged that many beneficial, needed technologies came from accidents, the aforementioned penicillin for diabetes included. When research has the freedom to flow, we may even answer an unknown we didn’t know that we didn’t know. If there weren’t so many pressing issues, research without focus may even be a preferable approach.

In our times, research requires structure, control, and clear direction to develop the cures and solutions we need today. If we don’t know where we’re going, we’re highly unlikely to get there.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! so here's my rating: I'd say this would get a 4. Your biggest issues in this essay is cohesion, maybe try starting your paragraphs with linking words, that would help a lot. Also, your last body paragraph is quite convincing actually so it weakens your main position. You could fix it by completely rebuking the thesis of accidental research by adding another counter argument. Also, I think you'd get a better score if you incorporated some of GRE vocabulary...I know it's a sword with a double edge since you never know if you used them 100% correctly but try using those you're positive about. That said, it is clear and you stick to the point.