Urch Forums

Issue essay - please evalute and share you toughts

I have tried to write more than i usually do. Please review it and give your feedback. I have GRE in 2 days so any help is appreciated.

People who make decisions based on emotion and justify those decisions with logic afterwards are poor decision makers.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

History teaches us a lot of things. We can learn from the mistakes of others, especially from the mistakes of people who made decisions based on emotion and justified those decisions with logic afterwards.

First and foremost, good decision are made based on logic and objectivity, backed with data, analysis and facts. People who make decisions based on emotions usually ignore the practicality and objectivity and go on with their gut feeling. Such decisions unsurprisingly don't produce desired results as those were based on the ephemeral feelings. Good decision maker decide their course of action based on cold hard logic and are successful mostly. Lets take an example of a governor of a state, who has the misfortune of facing a difficult aftermath of communal violence. Few bad apples, who belongs to particular religion has assailed the people of other religion and destroyed the houses. Now our unfortunate governor belongs to victimized side, but he should not go blazing against the entire community because of few people based on his attachment with his religion. He must take required majors and put the culprits behind bars.

In addition, it wouldn't be hard to argue that most of the leaders are cool minded people, who doesn't let their decision-making fogged by emotions or sudden release of adrenaline.Lets look in world of football , captain of a team would be a guy who can keep is temper in control and doesn't fret with the bad situation.He will implement the plan laid by the coach and win the game for himself, the team and the fans. While a irascible person will get irritated and will take a erratic decision because of which complete team has to suffer. Zidane, French layer, is a famous example of that, who head butted a Italian player in world cup final. Not only he faced the ramifications of not keeping his emotions in check by taking red card and sent off, also France lost the control of match and title slipped off their grasp.

Based on the arguments presented above it can be assumed that decision making should be based on logic, while emotion can be mixed but shouldn't be the sole basis.

Edited by technocrat

Hey, I'll try to make some comments on you essay

In the second sentence of your introduction you wrote that "especially we can learn from the mistakes of people who made decisions based on emotion ...". But why "especially", actually we can learn from the mistakes of people who made decisions based on logic as well. Thus I think it will be better to continue your first sentence with something like this "As looking back to history we can see that most of the mistakes made were based on emotional decisions."

My previous tutor used to say that while writing essays we should represent our ideas in a way that reviewers can not attack them. :)

Later I've noticed some minor grammar issues (I can not do much checks for grammar, as my grammar is not so good)

1. "good decision are made" is instead of are.

2. "Good decision maker decide their" decides instead of decide.

3. "and destroyed the houses" maybe their houses?

3. the victimized side