Urch Forums

Post your scores and universities applied here

bilash

I guess the time has come that we all are about to start receiving out AGRE score which may make some of us cry:(, while some will definitely jump into the sky:D:tup::grad:.

I request all of you guys to post your score in this thread. Also it will be helpful for all if you also write the names of the universities you are applying to. There can be discussions on what universities our scores might take us to.

Good luck to all with agre and admissions:tup:

Bilash

Wouldn't it be more useful to post a whole application summary? At the very least, it might contain undergraduate GPA, undergraduate institution, general GRE scores, GRE subject test scores, summary of recommenders, summary of research/teaching experience. I can't see how a subject test score would get you in or keep you out of any graduate school. Some people with terrible scores get into great schools, for other reasons. Some people with great scores get rejected everywhere, for other reasons. Then again, I'll bet some people (including myself) would be a little shy about posting that much complete information in public.

Sorry to be contrary. Please don't let me deter anybody from posting their information. It will certainly be interesting to read.

Ok, if they wish, people can post their application summary. I just want to know what scores people got in the dreaded agre and how they evaluate their scores. In my opinion, a not-so-good agre will NOT hurt anybody's chances at top school provided other parts of the application are strong enough. But a good agre score (>85%) will definitely give an aplicant the competitive edge (s)he needs to get into top schools.

-Bilash

gforce, I only wish I scored anywhere near your fabulous agre score (850) you did last year!

Hey bilash,

Getting 850 is no big deal. Aim for the stars and you shall get what you had set out for.

Oh and btw, this is a small piece of advice for all the prospective Fall '06 CS appers. There's absolutely no need to go ga-ga over your AGRE results. The AGRE is small part of your overall application and in most cases, doesn't have any significant impact on the probability of getting admitted to a particular school. Therefore, there's no need to be dissapointed if you ended up in the 600s and the 700s (which by the way, is a pretty good score).

With that out of the way, good luck to everyone!

well, I am almost getting the edge of "good" (>85%)

I am 83%, 830. Lower than I expect. Now I cannot determine whether to send this score to schools or not...

Will it be a plus or a minus? Especially when your recommenders booast your capability?

I've viewed the China web site and more than 50% persons who reported their scores are getting >90% PR.

I am 83%, 830. Lower than I expect. Now I cannot determine whether to send this score to schools or not...

Will it be a plus or a minus? Especially when your recommenders booast your capability?

I've viewed the China web site and more than 50% persons who reported their scores are getting >90% PR.

Whats the Url for the china web site?

I think 830 is 87% which is my score also!!

690 (36 percentile)

Naturally, I'm surprised and disappointed. I took the test with only 4-5 hours preparation right after graduating in 2002. I got a 730 (51%ile) then. That was a factor in my decision not to postpone applying. This time, I studied about 90 hours. (I keep track of my time compulsively.) I felt much more prepared. On the test, I left 10 blank and felt questionable to some degree about 20. I felt confident about the remaining 40. Still, I figured I might come in around 75 or 80 percentile if I didn't make too many careless mistakes. You might take a look at my TestMagic post just after the test.

I'd love to hear about the kind of preparation people with higher scores did. What does it take to be in the upper 10 or 20 percentile? 300 hours of practice? Raw talent? Repitition drills on the practice problems that are out there? If you got a great score, please tell us how you got there.

@gforce,

thanks a lot for the soothing words. I am just worried that my dreams of getting into a top 20 school may be jeoperdized with this score.

@SenorSaru,

Don't worry friend, AGRE is not everything. Like I said before, while a very good AGRE score (> 85-90%) significantly increases one's chances at top grad schools, a not-so-good AGRE score won't much hurt your chances either.

Although I did not get a very good score, I believe I can comment on the type of preparation one needs for a great score. First, you have to be very good in discrete maths and algorithms and be a fairlry good programmer. Second, you have to review much of your undergrad courses with emphasis on Theory, OS, and Architecture. Finally, you have to give at least two months time for preparation. If you are out of school for some time, you will probably need more time. Rigorous practice is required not only because the syllabus is vast, but also because you are given only 2/3 minutes for each questions and you must be able to answer the quickly.

If your GPA is good then AGRE becomes even less impostant. Also having some publications diminishes the importance of AGRE altogether.

Good luck to all with the admission process.

-Bilash

Hii every1 ,

I scored 690 = 36% :( ,whcih I think is pretty bad score after looking at scores of 830, 800, etc on this forum ...

My General GRE score : 1360 ( 780+580+ 4.5)

Please guys tell me whether I should send my Subject GRE scores to Universities...

Will It have a negative impact on my profile which is like

Undergrad GPA: 3.5

interested to do a specialization in Networking

I am a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate).

I am Applying to foll. Universities

1)TAMU

2)SUNY at Stony Brook

3)SUNY at Buffalo

4)NCSU

5) GATECH (which I will remove from my list after getting such disastrous score)

Should I send to those Univs which only recommend and not require Subject-GRE Scores?

Please Do Reply...I am very very confused

Thanks

-Hardik Thakker

Hardik1910,

If you look at my other post, you'll see that you and I are in a very similar boat. Exact same subject test score. Exact same GPA. Exact same GRE quantitative score. Both applying at GA Tech. I'll bet we'd be good friends if we lived in the same place.

No. Do not send your subject test score unless you absolutely have to. It's not going to help anything. My understanding of the admissions process is that they are looking for people who have three attributes (in no particular order):

(1) Something really special or extraordinary

(2) Low-risk (not likely to become someone they regret letting in)

(3) A good match with that particular school

(4) A strong background in CS

Only the top schools are going to get all 4. I'll bet most lower schools settle for 2 out of 4. Each school is going to have their own preferences. Most likely, the lowest level schools might settle for only 1 of the 4. But, if you send a bad score like that, all it's going to do is make you look high risk. They're going to wonder if you're actually strong in CS. So, don't give them a reason to wonder. If you don't send a score, they might wonder why you didn't send one, but that's a lot better than having them wonder why your score is (like mine) low. Since I've already sent my scores to GA Tech and the U of Maryland, I have almost no expectation of getting in either of those places.

In my last job, a programming job, I had the opportunity to help hire my replacement. Picking from resumes and interviewing people. I learned a LOT. I was looking for those same 4 qualities. For me, #2 and #3 were probably the most important. So, you want to try to look low risk anyway you can. To be certain, you and I are not in a very good position with our applications. But, if we make the right decisions and don't get discouraged, we may still be able to get to the next step (that is, get into grad school).

Good luck!