Urch Forums

Just finished my Gmat..650 (Q50,V28). Need advice from u guys...

pravin_ece

Hi guys,

I have just finished my GMAT and got a 650 (Q50,V28). I am really disappointed with my score as I was expecting a better score (700+). I appreciate if any of you guys can suggest me whether I shd go ahead and apply for B-schools.

I have work exp of 4.5 years as Software engineer and planning to apply for fall 2007 . I am totally confused and need ur valuable advice.

My practice scores were 680 and 710. I was totally stressed by looking verbal questions especially the SC's as it is not my comfort area....

Thanks in advance

Praveen

Regardless of how smart we may be, on a short enough slice of time, we can all be caught doing pretty bone-headed things. Not to say that a 650 is anything to be ashamed of, because it's not, but realize that 3 hours of your life is not representative of you as a whole.

First, if you feel you deserve higher, follow score800's advice and retake the test. Your mindset and stress level are just as important as what you know during such a short test. 2 or 3 wrong questions in a row can push you down a spiral of wrong answers as you become anxious about it. If you know you just blew a couple questions, take 10 seconds and reset your mind. You should now be on a question that is easier and start earning back those points!

Second, one piece of advice that was given to me by many MBA alum is to just apply, period, if you have any desire to go. You will supposedly go through some soul searching as you compose essays and think about what you plan on doing with your life in the near term future. The worst that can happen is that you don't get in and you're out a few hundred bucks. That kind of investment is negligible for something this important.

Finally, remember that the scores that schools report are averages. That means about half of their admits scored above and about half scored below. At Harvard, with it's average of 707, for every student who scored 800 and got in, there's one that scored 620 and got in. Like I said, 3 hours of your life is just that---3 hours. No school in their right mind would judge you solely on that.

Dont worry.

I believe that personal satisfaction is the funda of life.

if u r satisfied then merry. it is an accomplishment one should be proud of.

if not, then jump in the arena. .

decision is all yours because it is your life.

but i personally believe that u can score much more.

and this time just dont repeat one mistake(personal advice)

of being a lurker. participate in forum.

lastly, sometimes initial failures are good for health(if u r unsatisfied)

All the best