Urch Forums

My ordeal at Pearson Mumbai(india)

mastermind

I was supposed to take my GMAT on 16th oct (India-Mumbai)

When I reached the test center,there were already a couple of people waiting outside the center.When we enquired ,why we were not allowed to enter the premises, we were told that the air conditioner is not working.To my surprise there were already some people taking exam inside without the AC working.When they came out i enquired about the conditions inside and was told that it is getting warmer inside.

The building has the centralized AC system and there was a major technical problem with the AC.We were told that the problem would be sorted out within an hour or so but after waiting outside in the sweltering heat for over 2 hours the problem persisted.

Then we were given two options either we start taking the test in the present conditions or reschedule it.In my opinion it was impossible for 10 test takers to take the exam simultaneously for almost 4 hours in a room which does not even have a ventilation system.Adding to this horror situation, administrator told us that the building management might have to switch power off after some time to perform some critical work. Surprisingly, Testing center at the Mumbai does not have the power back up facility so even if we had started taking the test there was no guarantee that it would be completed.

I decided to reschedule my test but I knew that there were very few dates available in the next 1 ½ months, but I was told that pearson will consider these cases ”special” and will try to accommodate the test takers.Here I have to mention that the Mumbai center showed their inability to take any decision regarding the rescheduling of date.

I sent two emails to the customer service asking for 1st November as my rescheduled date since fortunately, that date was available. But even after two days I did not get any reply from Pearson and the after a couple of days when again I checked, the date was no longer available. I was totally dejected.

Then ,I contacted the GMAT call center and was told that I would be contacted within two days for deciding the rescheduled date.Till date I have not received any call but call center people are insisting that I will be contacted “in a couple of days time”( God knows when it is going to come).

It is such a pity that bodies like Pearson can not foresee such kind of situations and prepare for it beforehand. Is this the negligence or omission of duty?

I know I have to take this into stride but this is a very sad situation for me. I think I am going to miss the first round of application since for many B schools the first round application deadline is 31st Oct or so(pl correct me if I am wrong).

My question is does applying in the second round will hamper my chances of getting into a decent school.

Ur suggestions and ideas are most welcome.

Thanks

• Like 1

dear mastermind,

I am from Mumbai & news from you really horrified me.

I cant imagine the condition in the rest of the Indian cities, given the fact that Mumbai is the only city which provides 24X7 power (electricity) supply to the people.

Its really a serious problem & GMAC and/or other bodies should look into this affair immediately.

I am very sorry to hear that you had to postpone the date,

fyi Most of bschools R1 last date is in october.

I think you should have known all these datelines if you wanted to go for R1.

Anyway

as per your query is concern:

Each Admission counsellor has different opinion on "R1 vs R2" stuff.

But i believe it wont matter much.

first two rounds weighted equal

dont worry. :)

there will be enough seats to fill-in in R2.

all the best.

also as dyoh says

do tell adcomms about the case happened with you.

it wont make any harm.

dear mastermind,

I am from Mumbai & news from you really horrified me.

I cant imagine the condition in the rest of the Indian cities, given the fact that Mumbai is the only city which provides 24X7 power (electricity) supply to the people.

Its really a serious problem & GMAC and/or other bodies should look into this affair immediately.

I am very sorry to hear that you had to postpone the date,

fyi Most of bschools R1 last date is in october.

I think you should have known all these datelines if you wanted to go for R1.

Anyway

as per your query is concern:

Each Admission counsellor has different opinion on "R1 vs R2" stuff.

But i believe it wont matter much.

first two rounds weighted equal

dont worry. :)

there will be enough seats to fill-in in R2.

all the best.

also as dyoh says

do tell adcomms about the case happened with you.

it wont make any harm.

dude, it's not the question of me knowing the deadline,anybody could have met with this kind of situation,if not me.

Anyways,after frenetic calls to GMAC i was able to get 20th nov as my GMAT date but it's in the evening(5.30 pm):hmm: Got to start it all over again:mad: .

thanks to all u people for ur support!!!!!!! good luck!!!

this is really bad. :mad:

I am sorry buddy. I know it could get frustrating when you study all these days just to kno that you cannot take the test for next unknown number of days :(:(

common man do you want me to throw some b-schools deadlines at you?

harvard 11 Oct

tuck, wharton- 12Oct

chicago-18

kellogg-20

stanford-25

duke, MIT, Ross, Emory 1 Nov.

So i dont know where you want ( wanted ) to apply.

HTH.

You were so unlucky. However, maybe a bad luck is followed by an amazing stroke of luck. :-)

Wish you all the best with your test.

Cheers,

tieuphong,

u know what, that is exactly i am hoping for......

johny,

thanks for the info,but those schools aren't my type(yea right!!!!!):p

Thanx again,thanx all!!!!!!!