Urch Forums

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): Q164(86), V163(93), AWA(4.5)

Undegrad GPA: Bachelor of Computer Science from BMSIT, Bangalore, 81% (4th in my class)

Graduate GPA:N/A

Research Experience: 8 months with a professor at HAAS, Berkeley

Teaching Experience: N/A

Work Experience: 5 years - founded the technical team of a start up, working in a unicorn for the last 3 years. Strong engineering knowledge. Have side projects featured extensively by the press. One of these included a crowd sourced flood map which has been repurposed and re-used by individuals/governments in multiple countries and received recognition from the United Nations. Another project studied the gender of street names. Strong recognition and media/press presence in the open source communities in India recognised

Concentration Applying to: Information Systems, Organisational Behaviour/Studies

Number of programs planned to apply to: 7

Dream Schools:

* NYU Anindya Ghose

* Minnesota Information Systems

* Maryland Information Systems

* MIT

* Harvard Business School

* Wharton

* HAAS Berkeley

In addition to information systems programs at business schools, I am also applying to Information Science programs at several universities.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

I have been part of the open source movement for a while now, and I am interested in using qualitative and quantitative methods, and openly available materials like Wikipedia stats and mailing lists to study themes of culture - so studying contributor motivations, influence of application design in inviting crowd-sourced contributions

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

* My GRE quant score. I know it's not too bad, but I think it's pretty bad for the schools of my choice. Should I retake the test?

* Research experience - I have no publications of my own, even though I have been doing research that has made a significant difference to the paper that the professor and I are working on.

* Letters - I have a strong letter of recommendation from a business school professor at HAAS who's an MIT alum with whom I am working on a review paper that studies the effects on information seeding on contributions in an open source project. My other letters are from an MIT alum who's the director of an open source project and another person from my company who also founded a large open mapping platform, which are also strong. My prof is also reviewing the latter two letters to vouch for my research capabilities.

Any additional specific questions you may have:

Should I be looking at other programs?

• 2 weeks later...

Your GRE quant score should be enough to get you in the door, but you could try to retake. My list was similar to yours and I had the same GRE score. Got into two of those schools, rejected by three (got an interview at one of the ones that rejected).

You should also look at Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, and Arizona State, to name a few. But your list looks really good.