Urch Forums

AntoineLPC

Hi guys,

I really need some help to chose between PSE and BU Master's programs.

I graduated from very top ranked engineering school in France in Mechanics. After personal readings and a one-year research experience (in mechanics) I realized I wanted to go for a PhD in Economics and work in the academic field in economics.

I applied to PhDs in the US and got admitted in Boston University PhD program. But I felt I could get higher ranked PhD schools so I asked to transfer from Phd to BU MA. in Economics (which I've been authorized). BU MA is a one year program. Meanwhile I have been admitted to Paris School of Economics APE two-year Master Program.

My goal is to get to top 10 US Phd schools. So I have basically two options:

- attend APE Master to get decent LORs and good economic background (and mathematic background)

- attend BU one-year MA and then spending one year as a RA with a professor in BU or ideally MIT or Harvard (I ok to do it whithout being paid)

I just don't know if: it is commun in the US to do research with a professor whithout being enrolled anymore in an academic program of the university and if out of these two options, one would be more strategic.

Besides, BU is expensive (40 000$ though I have 20 000 dollars Fulbright scholarship) and PSE is almost free.

If anybody can help me I would be very thankful, I have only few days to make my decision!

Thank you very much!!

Hi!

I don't know if I can help you so much as I am from France too but it has been a year I am looking at this forum and from what I've heard, US masters are not customized to mae you enter a PhD after, they are more "profesionalizing" (don't know if it exists but surely you can understand the French version of it ;-). Maybe they are some exceptions? But I think it would have been better to do the first year of the PhD at Boston, as it is really resaearch-oriented, and then reapply. Or the royal way, if you do not come form a top US undergrad, is to come from a European or Canadian Master, and to be among the best of your master.

So I would definitly advise PSE if I am right about the US masters that do not lead to PhD (especially top 10 PhD). But at PSE the thing is, it may be hard to rank very high, as many students (as you I guess) come from X, Centrale, EHESS, ENSAE, Normale, HEC… I think for top 10 PhD in the US they compare you with people of your master and take the bests. Have you other european options than PSE? I know that TOulouse, Barcelone and obvioulsy LSE send people to the US, I am not sure of the quantity for PSE even though I could ask as I know people from here (i know one who ended up at Berkeley but with a huuuge letter, and one at Chicago also with a huuuge letter for instance) but I don't know the proportion.

Write me if you want more info.