Urch Forums

dcasarinc

I got admitted to Rochester with tuition scholarship and 20000 USD stipend. I also got admitted to UT with tuition scholarship and 15000 USD TA/Stippend package.

Background: I do not hold a masters degree, I have 2 years of research experience and was top 5% of my class. My research interests are macroeconomics, monetary policy and labor. My spouse is going to come with me to the PhD and I hate cold, although I could live with that.

I have several questions and any help would be greatly appreciated:

1.- Which University has a better macro department? From what I heard, Rochester is better and in the past, Texas macro department has been weak although its micro department is very good. I want to know if this is still the case or I am completely wrong.

2.- Which university is likely to have a higher atrittion rate?

3.- Which university has better job placement?

4.- Which university supports better its students and is aligned more to my research interests?

5.- And finally, which university is going to be better for my significant one? (She studied animation and digital arts).

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
My research interests are macroeconomics, monetary policy and labor. My spouse is going to come with me to the PhD and I hate cold, although I could live with that.

I have several questions and any help would be greatly appreciated:

1.- Which University has a better macro department? From what I heard, Rochester is better and in the past, Texas macro department has been weak although its micro department is very good. I want to know if this is still the case or I am completely wrong.

If you're interested in macro and monetary, you're probably better off going to Texas, where you'll have Coibion and Bhattarai. Rochester has Mark Bils, who's excellent, but he's the only really active guy there and not working in monetary.

If you're interested in macro and monetary, you're probably better off going to Texas, where you'll have Coibion and Bhattarai. Rochester has Mark Bils, who's excellent, but he's the only really active guy there and not working in monetary.

Rochester has a mid-sized macro group with three active seniors and several juniors. By contrast, to my knowledge, Texas has no senior faculty in macro. I would be quite hesitant to pick a school for the junior faculty. I don't have any inside information about the two guys mentioned above, but with the exception of fresh hires, the odds that an assistant professor will be in the same department in five years are usually less than half.

Now, the two guys at Texas have research interests more related to monetary policy than the group at Rochester. But my experience is that prospective students are better at predicting their field interests than their subfield interests.

Rochester has a mid-sized macro group with three active seniors and several juniors. By contrast, to my knowledge, Texas has no senior faculty in macro. I would be quite hesitant to pick a school for the junior faculty. I don't have any inside information about the two guys mentioned above, but with the exception of fresh hires, the odds that an assistant professor will be in the same department in five years are usually less than half.

Now, the two guys at Texas have research interests more related to monetary policy than the group at Rochester. But my experience is that prospective students are better at predicting their field interests than their subfield interests.

Coibion is senior now. And UT has 3 juniors: Bhattarai, Glover and Kherig. I guess it depends on the type of macro you prefer: macro-labor is definitely stronger at Rochester, but for macro-monetary I would unhesitatingly go for Texas. And that's ignoring quality of life issues, which clearly push toward Austin over upstate NY.

• 2 weeks later...
Coibion is senior now. And UT has 3 juniors: Bhattarai, Glover and Kherig. I guess it depends on the type of macro you prefer: macro-labor is definitely stronger at Rochester, but for macro-monetary I would unhesitatingly go for Texas. And that's ignoring quality of life issues, which clearly push toward Austin over upstate NY.

Do you think Oli is going to stay in UT Austin for a while? Or going to a better place, actually I am hesitating about going to UT Austin or not

Do you think Oli is going to stay in UT Austin for a while? Or going to a better place, actually I am hesitating about going to UT Austin or not

I was told he has personal reasons for being in Austin. But it's hearsay. Why don't you email him and ask if that's a concern?