Urch Forums

Time to vote for the 2016 Jeeves Award

Team3

Ladies and gentlemen,

The time has come to cast your ballot for our peer-voted award for forum team player--the 7th Annual Jeeves Award!

The criteria are the sort of things you'd expect and that we all enjoy about this forum:

1) helpful commentary and advice

2) overall team-oriented behavior

3) positive outlook and/or humor

4) don't take admissions results or profiles into account

5) non-moderator status (moderator breaks ties)

Of course the criteria are fluid, so feel free to assign weights as you see fit. The award is about stepping outside of yourself to help people you probably don't even know, which improves the quality of the applicant pool in general.

Here are the results from some of the older threads:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...ves-award.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...ves-award.html (Time to vote for the 2013 Jeeves Award)

(2012 Jeeves Award)http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...ves-award.html (2012 Jeeves Award)

(Time to vote for the 2011 Jeeves Award)http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...ves-award.html (Time to vote for the 2011 Jeeves Award)

(Time to vote for the 2010 Jeeves Award)http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...ves-award.html (Time to vote for the 2010 Jeeves Award)

EDIT (tm_member): I tried to edit these hyperlinks to fix them, but I can't seem to get them to work. To get to them, click, then delete everything up to the second exclamation point in your browser, and hit enter.

Vote by replying to the thread (rather than using the upvote button), and we'll tally when the thread dies out.

Edited by tm_member

It's pretty obvious who he is referring to, no?

Obviousness: it's a function of your audience. Castlecoeur could be a new user, a light-hearted partial literal translation of chateauheart (which, to clear up all doubts, is my intuition), or a Pokemon.

Here's a side note that doesn't have anything to do with your comment: words like "obviously" or "clearly" usually precede some of the most convoluted writing/thinking you'll ever encounter. Maybe some of you have noticed this, but when you grade a lot of proofs on exams, students use the word "obviously" to skip central steps they very likely don't know how to show. In my experience, it's rarely used to skip something simple. I'll take it a step further: it's periodically used in seminars to deter someone who asks a question by making them feel inadequate in having missed the "obvious" connection (which sometimes turns out to be flat-out incorrect). Of course, it's possible there is no misunderstanding, but the word has a charged connotation, and my sense is that it's helpful to be aware of it.

Obviousness: it's a function of your audience. Castlecoeur could be a new user, a light-hearted partial literal translation of chateauheart (which, to clear up all doubts, is my intuition), or a Pokemon.

Here's a side note that doesn't have anything to do with your comment: words like "obviously" or "clearly" usually precede some of the most convoluted writing/thinking you'll ever encounter. Maybe some of you have noticed this, but when you grade a lot of proofs on exams, students use the word "obviously" to skip central steps they very likely don't know how to show. In my experience, it's rarely used to skip something simple. I'll take it a step further: it's periodically used in seminars to deter someone who asks a question by making them feel inadequate in having missed the "obvious" connection (which sometimes turns out to be flat-out incorrect). Of course, it's possible there is no misunderstanding, but the word has a charged connotation, and my sense is that it's helpful to be aware of it.

Why that is very illuminating. I did not know of the charged connotation, the Dunning-Kruger effect likely in play. I will keep in mind to avoid using this word unless its truly an obvious connection.

Wow, Chateauheart is still commenting? Good to see old posters around on occasion!

It does seem like I should have fully migrated to the job market forum by now, yeah?

After doing some preliminary analyses of these results, I think I can just go ahead and declare an early victory this year. Thank you all. This award totally makes up for high school.

For all the other posters who haven't gotten the chance to vote for me yet, you can instead go stare at your math transcript and be embarrassed as you slowly realize how uncompetitive you actually are, both in academia and in life. That's all the appreciation I will ever need.

• Like 2

I think I can just go ahead and declare an early victory this year. Thank you all. This award totally makes up for high school.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%

Concur (wow, unanimous)!...the 2016 Jeeves Award winner is chateauheart! Send a little reputation that way if you see fit (the star at the bottom of a post).

In the spirit of jeeves, thanks for sharing what you've learned with the rest of us. It helps a bunch!

Congrats!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%