Urch Forums

Fifth/Sixth year funding

ForumWhiner

Hi all,

I have a question regarding PhD stipends. I see that many US programs (at least at places I've applied) provide fellowship/assistance for only four years of the program. Given that 6-year time period to graduation is becoming the norm in many schools, I was wondering how do students finance themselves?

Thank you.

I am not a 5th/6th year graduate student, but I have seen a lot of applications (new PhDs get hired at my firm every year) from new PhD graduates with 3-4 years of TA/RA/Fellowships and then a year or so of being an "Instructor" or "Lecturer" at that school or a school nearby.

Just my two cents.

Schools guarantee funding for four years conditional on being in good standing. That does not mean funding for the final year or two is not provided.

Funding for a fifth year, so long as you are making progress towards a degree, is normal and expected. However, if you need funding for a sixth year you better have a good reason why it took six years. With that said, most students who take six years do get funding somehow, even if it is via lecturing. It can often come down to how many students pass qualifying/preliminary exams and that may not be known until August.

• 1 month later...
This funding issue seems like its something people overlook all the time. I know it must be hard to imagine yourself in 5th year struggling to finish your job market paper and juggling teaching and wishing you had funding for 6th year. This is super important. When they say some departments have more resources that others, this is one of the reasons it matters. You don't want to be on the market worrying about your bills.