Urch Forums

Advanced macro vs micro vs math

vaillante

Hi!

I'm currently an Econ major undergrad considering graduate studies in economics (likely a masters first, as I'm Canadian.) I'm double-majoring, which somewhat restricts the number of credits I can take, so I need to choose two of the following three courses for my last semester: Advanced Macro, Advanced Micro and Advanced Math for Economists. Ideally, I would want to take all three, but I am already beyond my program's credit requirements and cannot take an extra semester. Which two courses would be most beneficial in terms of grad school preparation, as well as my application? I have heard some say that Advanced Micro/Macro wouldn't be as useful as taking more math. Is that the case?

It's worth noting that my other major does not have a focus on math, so I have not taken anything beyond Cal II, Linear Algebra and two courses in a Math for Economists sequence.

Thanks!

I would cheer for Adv Micro and Adv Macro because the third is actually Adv Math "for Economist" which makes it less rigorous. If you're serious in taking math, then look for higher level of calculus, differential equation, and real analysis instead.

Hello, you should consider taking both advanced micro and macro if you want to do graduate work. I was told by my advisers that I would not be accepted into any decent MAs without them. I was in a similar situation and decided on taking an extra year to take the advanced courses and do an honours route. I would recommend talking to your professors about this, as they may give you different advice more suitable to your personal situation. I am told that students who generally lack the advanced mico/macro and some form of intro econometrics are likely to be accepted only on a pre-masters type basis. But once again, I would say talk to your professors as this is just what I was told.

Best of luck!

Third recommendation for Advanced Micro/Macro. I graduated undergrad in Canada this spring (taking a year to work), and was told by my profs that 4th year micro/macro are the most important grades for Canadian master's programs. You can always take a math course later, but right now those courses will help your Canadian admissions a lot more.

Hello, you should consider taking both advanced micro and macro if you want to do graduate work. I was told by my advisers that I would not be accepted into any decent MAs without them. I was in a similar situation and decided on taking an extra year to take the advanced courses and do an honours route. I would recommend talking to your professors about this, as they may give you different advice more suitable to your personal situation. I am told that students who generally lack the advanced mico/macro and some form of intro econometrics are likely to be accepted only on a pre-masters type basis. But once again, I would say talk to your professors as this is just what I was told.

Best of luck!

I got accepted into several top ranked master's program in the US and in Europe without advanced micro and macro... I had only 4 total econ classes to begin my master's program too! So that's not necessarily true to be accepted into any decent MAs without taking advanced micro and macro, but I think it might possibly help your grades in the master's program!