Urch Forums

Help with profile evaluation

greg3

I'm a UK-based student, currently doing an MSc and applying for PhDs in econ for Fall 2018. I'm trying to figure out where I should aim to get accepted. Would that potentially be top10, top20, top30 or maybe lower? I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

Undergraduate

Type of Undergrad: Top 3-5 UK uni for economics and maths

Major: Economics and statistics (basically 50/50)

GPA: 80% (First-Class honours)

Maths: two-semester analysis, one-semester linear algebra, set theory, multivariate calculus (all 1st class honours, top 5% of the class); loads of statistics courses (all of them 1st clas honours).

Economics: 12 courses in total, mathematical economics, intermediate level micro, macro and econometrics (almost all 1st class honours).

Thesis: (macroeconomics)Top 1 in almost 400 students cohort; received a departamental prize for that

Graduate

Type of Grad: Oxbridge

Major: Statistics

GPA: won't be available before I apply for PhD.

Courses: loads of advanced mathematical statistics.

GRE: 169 Quant

Research Experience

- Two internships in governments related to macro policy.

- Research assistant at a national research institution.

I know it might not be enough information to give an accurate evaluation, but I was wondering whether based on that you could make a suggestion how I stand among applications from the US and what sort of range of unis I should apply to. Cheers!

Edited by greg3

Thanks for your answer! I would think that 80% in the UK system would translate to at least 3.9 GPA if not 4.0, am I wrong? I know it's a bit peculiar, in the way the British systems works it's usually difficult to score 70+%, while in the US it'd be a good pass.

My recommenders were comfortable with recommending me to Harvard or Princeton, but my personal top choices are Yale and Cornell. I'll get a reference from my thesis' supervisor, who will mention my relative performance. Thing I'm most worried about is that I don't have any hard-core maths like measure theory, metric spaces, ODEs, topology etc.

Thank you Richard. I really don't want to make a mistake of overestimating my chances as I know that there are hundreds of, probably better, candidates from the US. Do you think that applying broadly to top 1-35 to about 15 schools I should stand a good chance? Or rather, should I pick some schools from top 50-100 just in case?

A former Admission committee chair once gave me this advice. Split your application into 3 tiers, and apply a couple schools in each tier. For example, 5 in Top 15, 5 in 15 - 30, and 2 in 30 - 50. The last group will be your safety school. It might be a good idea to choose the lower ranked schools to apply to in part based on what different programs are good at. In general, if you can get into the top 20 programs, you should go for the highest ranked one because those programs are generally very good in all major fields, but as you go down the rankings, the fields become more important.

A former Admission committee chair once gave me this advice. Split your application into 3 tiers, and apply a couple schools in each tier. For example, 5 in Top 15, 5 in 15 - 30, and 2 in 30 - 50. The last group will be your safety school. It might be a good idea to choose the lower ranked schools to apply to in part based on what different programs are good at. In general, if you can get into the top 20 programs, you should go for the highest ranked one because those programs are generally very good in all major fields, but as you go down the rankings, the fields become more important.

Richard7 is giving good advice. But if your advisors are willing to recommend you to Harvard and Princeton, then apply heavily to the top 10.

Thank you very much for great advice, guys. I will apply to the majority of top10, broadly within top20-40 and to about 1-2 school in top40-60. I hope that this approach will make sense.

Given your profile, I don't think you should waste time (and money) applying to Top 40-60 schools. Your safety schools will probably be ~ rank 25-30 or so. If you apply too far down the rankings with an inordinately good profile, chances are, they won't accept you since they'll know you're applying to them as a safety measure (and hence, know that it will be unlikely for you to accept if they provided you an offer). They'll rather provide offers to students who actually want to attend those programmes.