Urch Forums

Msc Economics LSE

SJD

Hi,

I am currently enrolled in the last year of a BBA, with a major in Economics and Mathematics in Canada. I am interested in applying to the LSE Msc in Economics. As I have done a BBA, some classes I took are completely useless for such a master (Human ressources management/IT). Yet I also had two full years with classes such as Stochastic processes, applied mathematics (calculus/linear algebra), econometrics, macro/micro, and have been a Teaching Assistant in Operational Research/Statistics for one year and have a cumulative GPA of 3.9/4. I was thus wonderring if I should candidate to the 2-year LSE Msc in economics, with the one year preparation courses, or if I should try my shot directly for the one-year Master program.

What is your advice?

Can you give me a list of all the math classes you have taken and gotten grades for, as of this year? The thing is, LSE's EME programme is very competitive and quite tough to get in. Plus, they explicitly mention that they require applicants to demonstrate good math prep.

Here's what I did as math classes:

Statistics I and II: A

Math modelling: A

Stochastic process: A

Mathematics I; Multivariate calculus, Linear algebra, optimisation : A

Analysis : A-

I intend to take Mathematics II next semester, which content is: Topology, Dynamical systems and dynamic optimization, Differential equations, optimal control, game theory.

Hmm, you seem like you have sufficient math to be considered. Whether you apply for EME or not depends on your risk aversion, I suppose, since they only allow 2 choices in your application.

In semi-unrelated news, if you're intending to pursue a PhD, why not do a Canadian MA? Seeing as to how you are from a Canadian undergrad programme, with your GPA, you should be able to get into one relatively easily (I think).

Yes, I am considering to pursue a PhD, and am actually considering candidating to University of Toronto, UBC and Queen's M.A in addition to LSE. But I thought LSE would offer me a better chance to enter in a good PhD afterwards. Is it worth the money?

And, do you think it would be better for me to take for next semester the second mathematics class (Mathematics II), or a monetary economics class instead?

Edited by SJD

I think you'll be much better off doing your MA in Canada if your end goal is a Canadian PhD. You'll likely have a much easier time transiting to the PhD programme if you come from the same school (since you'll know the faculty members, etc).

I could be wrong. Hope the Canadian brothers on here chime in.

The mathematics option is the one to go for.