Urch Forums

How specific to be in the SoP?

hereshoping

I dont know why my previous post came up blank.

I was wondering if anyone has a take on how specific one should be about research interests in the statement of purpose? For example, is it enough to say I'm generally interested in a certain subdisciple and how previous research in that subdiscipline has motivated my interest? Or should I define a specific research question? Thoughts/advice/your own approaches would be appreciated.

the more specific you can be, the better. basically, the adcoms, as i hear, are not looking for a dissertation from you right now, but if you can talk intelligently and in a little detail about what you like and why you like it, that would help in convincing them that you really have thought your way through the phd path and are really interested in (and know about) something.

hollow statements like 'i like IO because i read blah blah papers in it' will be less convincing that specifics about which general questions in IO you are interested and how that relates to the school you are applying to.

I'd modify jahizbarlas's advice some. A SOP is not a research proposal. It should not include a literature review and does not need to specify a specific project. (Doing so can backfire -- at this stage, you might define a project that has already been done or that isn't as good an idea as you think. You may also make your interests look too narrow). It should, if possible, include some general topics you find interesting -- things that make you say "hmm."

Most schools have specific guidelines for the SOP, which include why you want to study economics, how your academic background/work experience has prepared you for a PhD, and what your future career goals are. You do need to address these topics and any other specifics the schools ask for (so yes, bscout, you should have background information in the SOP. Just don't repeat things that they can see on your transcript -- i.e., don't list your math classes. Instead, connect your background to your desire to get a PhD. "The preliminary work in my money and banking class junior year made me wonder how credit shocks affect _____. Since then, I've seen a number of newspaper accounts of behavior that is seemingly inconsistent with economic theory. I would be interested in using the more rigerous tools of I'd learn in graduate school to explore this problem.") Remember that the "correct" answers emphasize your genuine intellectual curiosity and insatiable desire to do groundbreaking research ;)

While it's nice to tailor the SOP to each school, you do NOT need to waste anyone's time with BS about how Harvard is a wonderful school and it's your dream to study there. Trust me, the Harvard adcoms know that Harvard is a wonderful school, and they assume it's everyone's dream to study there. Don't just throw their propaganda back at them -- come up with a genuine and brief statement of interest in the school, and then move on. Don't say you want to study with one specific faculty member, because it's always possible that person is leaving. The party line is that the department overall is a good fit for your interests and strengths.

I usually do the following:

*Briefly discuss some areas of the field that I am interested in (eg. sudden stops and their impact on emerging economies ability to form currency unions), why this is an important area of research.

*Then, when I am describing why School X is a great match, i discuss the research that current faculty are doing (which is very similar to what I'm interested in). And i discuss what aspects of their research interests me. This is to show that there would be ample academic support for me when I am writing my dissertation. Since I am interested in experimental economics and have had a couple of years experience working in an experimental econ lab, I usually write about how I would be of much assistance in their labs.

asquare you are right. i was writing for only the 'research' part of the SOP.

what you said I totally back in terms of background, showing intellectual curiousity, etc...

i would, however, suggest tailoring SOPs. this is difficult to get correct though. asquare is correct in that dont give hollow statements that adcoms already know. mentioning faculty rarely is a good idea, and i wouldnt suggest doing this unless you know what you are doing. basically, if you have done your research and are genuinely applying to that program because you want to go there (maybe because of the philosophy of the program and what they want to achieve from their grad program) and not because its harvard, then just mention what you have learnt about the dept and how that relates to you.

i dont know if that makes any sense :(

good luck

Shoot! I did exactly this, just because I couldn't make up another 50 words.

This is not always a bad thing. Some departments ask you to discuss your math preparation on a separate sheet while others say they want you to elaborate on your math preparation in the SOP.

I just love Northwestern's guide to the statement of purpose:

Statement of Purpose: Please note that for most applicants, this document has little bearing on the admissions decisions. If the applicant has a "normal" background that included some math and some economics courses in college and if they have not spent too many years in school or out of school, then they need not really write a lengthy statement. Applicants with an unusual history (e.g., having unusually weak background in math and economics, taking many years to complete college, or graduated from college many years ago, etc.), unusual achievements (serious published research in any field of study, international grand master in chess, winners of math competitions, etc.), or unusual interests should use this statement to explain briefly these aspects.

:tup:

It's a bit like saying "We really don't care what you have to say, so at least try to entertain us!" :p

But I do think it's nice that they are being honest about it, saving us from spending hours and hours on something that is not really important.

I constructed my essay as follows:

1. Background into most recent summer research experience, what I learned from it, and why I want to go to graduate school to learn more - basically, I'm telling them I've done research and I know how the process works, and what happens at a research university (since I'm coming from a liberal arts college).

2. Other research experiences, how it all ties into my fields of interest, and eventual career plans (academic at a research university, right? ;)). Also mention my econometrics and senior thesis projects in some detail - look I can do completely independent research, and have broad interests, but also one possible specific research subject

3. Brief mention of my classes and how they've prepared me for econ grad school - since the first batch of transcripts I'm sending in didn't show either Econometrics or Probability & Stats, it looked like I had very little background in that area. Also, I have a philosophy major, which I actually think is quite valuable - advanced logic was pretty proof-intensive, and philosophy of economics is obviously related.

4. Why I want to attend the specific school, with the mention of 3-5 faculty and their (recent!!) work in things that overlap with my interests. Also any special programs or distinctions in the econ department that I think fit well with my interests - I always try to list one full professor and very few associate professors listed, since the ones with tenure are less likely to move.

This worked for me, since I had a lot of research to discuss - for other people, focusing more on interesting classes and the questions they've raised might be better

I wonder why being an international grand master in chess is relevant. If they think it signifies an applicant's intelligence, why not just ask him to send in an official copy of his IQ score report?

It signifies both very high intelligence and that the work ethic to devote oneself to mastery of an intellectual pursuit. It takes most GM's many more hours of study to achieve their title than it does a typical PhD student to achieve theirs...and I doubt too many GM's would be applying for NW's program anyway.

I don't know about you, but I didn't waste time talking in my SOP about "research", but rather spent my time explaining how it is by the providence of a supreme being that I attend their school, for example I made sure to mention that at my birth Paul Samuelson walked in and said, "This will one day be a great economist, I just had to be here to witness the next generation in economic theory". I then elucidated upon my excellent elementary school performance. However it was my finish that guarantees me admission into all the schools, I threatened that if they didn't accept me then their school would suffer a plague of locusts and that the laws of physics would break down and destroy us all. make sure you don't use any of these else they wouldn't take either of us seriously.
  • Like 1

I don't really have any insights into the process, but I really have a hard time believing Adcom's spend much time reading the SoPs; and wouldn't be surprised to find out that the majority of them aren't read. I once looked at a Chinese friend of mine -- who received funding at the program I'm in, and deservedly so -- and there were incomplete sentences, forgotten periods, and hilariously strange comments. The second point is that, if you were to select an economist at random, and download one of their working papers, chances are you'd find a typo in the first few lines (& frequently thereafter). Having said that, I went ahead and churned out about five or six drafts of my SoP -- can't shake having originally been a liberal arts major. Everyone says how important the LORs are, and perhaps it's true, but I have a hunch that it's how much math you've had and your grades in those courses that count for 90%...

Even so, since I'm also a mathematics MA, I was told by two of my LORs to focus my statement almost solely on my Econ ideas & current research & let the MA speak for my math prep. Econ is really just applied math, but most economists operate under the veneer that they really do Economics; so in your SoP you should pretend too.

I don't know about you, but I didn't waste time talking in my SOP about "research", but rather spent my time explaining how it is by the providence of a supreme being that I attend their school, for example I made sure to mention that at my birth Paul Samuelson walked in and said, "This will one day be a great economist, I just had to be here to witness the next generation in economic theory". I then elucidated upon my excellent elementary school performance. However it was my finish that guarantees me admission into all the schools, I threatened that if they didn't accept me then their school would suffer a plague of locusts and that the laws of physics would break down and destroy us all. make sure you don't use any of these else they wouldn't take either of us seriously.

I vowed to start a hunger strike if they didn't let me in, just like this guy: http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2007/01/publish-or-perish.html

I guess they'll have to treat both of us seriously.

I made a terrible mistake today. I sended two applications and when I printed the SOP, as my name was written at the end, I stamped my signature on it! I realise that when I came back from FedEx. I really, don't know in which I was thinking in that moment.

This is a huge mistake? If it is not, could it hurt my in a particular way?

I made a terrible mistake today. I sended two applications and when I printed the SOP, as my name was written at the end, I stamped my signature on it! This is a huge mistake? If it is not, could it hurt my in a particular way?

I agree that this unfortunate mistake will get you rejected. The moment they see that you put your signature on your SOP they will quickly put your application in the trash and move on to those applications without signatures. At least it was only with two applications and so you still have a chance at the other schools. :rolleyes: