Urch Forums

Chances of Visa Denial while in the Ph.D. program!

EconMist

The other thread about visa issues made me think of a couple questions, so I couldn't help but ask:

Once you start your Ph.D. studies, if you decide to go back home and visit during some school break, is there any chance that you might be denied visa when you try to get a visa to return to school? Does your chance increase if you did your undergrad in the U.S. and you haven't visited home since you came here?

[Let's assume you're receiving funds from the school and that you have some of your family back home.]

~EconMist

I think you get visa for the whole study period so you wouldn't need to get a new one to come back to States from, say, vacation. I could be wrong though.

I think the OP did his/her undergrad in the US and let his/her visa expire while still in the US (this is fine as long as the I-20 is valid). I am in the same boat and will have to get a new visa when I eventually go home for summer break. I'm not too worried about being denied though. We'll see...

Once your visa is valid for the duration of study, you will not need to get another one when returning from vacation in your home country. If you have been in the U.S undergraduate program and your I-20 will expire within a short time after enrolling, I think there are ways you can renew your student status. Do it before attempting to go home. It is not worht the risk to go back for another visa. If I am right, you should be able to proceed from one level of education to another without going back home for a new visa.