Urch Forums

Only 364 days till hockey tryouts...gotta toughen up!

futg6

Well, I have four friends that are definitely applying for 2009.

One of them is an "econ machine" (the kid is really strong). Top of his graduating class, currently building a strong research experience (RA'ing for a Princeton alumnus), TA'd for (and mentored by) the most cited local economist (MIT alumnus, and who would be a full professor in any US top econ dept). On a personal note, he's a superb individual all the way, and very humble. He should get into MIT (his dream school) with no problems. In fact, I fully endorse his application. Any top school would make a big mistake not admitting him. :p

The other three are all good, with varying degrees of strongness, although none of them is a bad candidate per se. One has really bad GPA, but strong research assistantship experience, good LoRs, and is currently taking the grad math sequence at the math department. He is interested in Micro, IO and Game Theory. Another is a really intelligent guy who didn't get that many good grades, but he is highly creative, a hard worker, and has a true interest in the public policy side of the economics spectrum. The third one is the best student of his generation (the year before I graduated), but he rested on his laurels, and hasn't worked anywhere ever since (living with his parents, doing part time jobs, waking up at noon, partying, etc.). He is interested in Political Economy, and will begin to prepare for the PhD this year.

None of them have taken the GRE yet, but I'm sure they will all excel on it.

I sincerely hope I won't apply for 2009, because it would mean I didn't get in this year (after carefully preparing my application for two years and applying to 14 schools). :rolleyes: :wallbash: :yuck:

I have my list of schools narrowed down to about 20 right now, but will have to cut at least 5 more off (I actually think I should include more lower ranked schools than what I currently have though). I am done taking classes and am out of the country working until at least next January. The fact that I have shaky internet down here can only help my sanity for the next month: all there is to do is work, read, and watch old seinfeld episodes. I'm assuming we are two of the only people who have been on econphd.net through this past application season without actually applying. All your schools/classes in order?

I have my list of schools narrowed down to about 20 right now, but will have to cut at least 5 more off (I actually think I should include more lower ranked schools than what I currently have though). I am done taking classes and am out of the country working until at least next January. The fact that I have shaky internet down here can only help my sanity for the next month: all there is to do is work, read, and watch old seinfeld episodes.

At least you're keeping your sanity.

I'm assuming we are two of the only people who have been on econphd.net through this past application season without actually applying.

I know. I've been on here for a while considering I still have a year left before applying. This forum as really helped me a lot, there's just so much info here.

All your schools/classes in order?

Yeah, I still have many key courses to finish over this next year, so my grades in those classes will strongly influence where I apply. I have around 20 schools myself I am considering. I'm going to apply to 12 - 15 schools, but like I said, I need to see how these courses turn out in order to which schools I'll apply to.

If everything goes well, I'll probably apply to about 6 schools in the 20 - 30 range, 3 in the 30 - 40 range, 2 in the 40 - 50 range, and 1 outside the top 50. Who knows though, I may add 1 more safety and 2 more reaches. If I don't do that well, I will probably have to drop a few in the 20 - 30 range and add some more in the 30 - 50 range and a few in the ouside 50 range.

I have my list of schools narrowed down to about 20 right now, but will have to cut at least 5 more off (I actually think I should include more lower ranked schools than what I currently have though)

I never had TAMU on my shortlist until Fulbright asked me: "Where do you want us to apply to? It is U of Iowa or TAMU." After checking both programs, I found out that it was a much better fit to go to TAMU than Iowa, so I chose it. It is ranked 40th-50th on most rankings I've surveyed, but their PhD program looked nice enough for me. :D

Funny things about programs. TAMU (or Iowa) will probably be looked as a mediocre university in my (latin-american) country. Show people over here a degree from London Business School, Boston U or Georgetown, and they will roll-out the red carpet almost as if you had come from MIT or an Ivy. That is great, because those are good, demanding programs. But say you come from TAMU, UNC or PSU, or even UC San Diego (!), and they will probably think you come from something slightly better than a diploma-mill. It's really frustrating :rolleyes:

In the end, I chose programs to apply to mainly for their match to my interests. I know people all over the world will value a UCSD degree (besides, many of my "college heroes" work there...James Hamilton, Clive Granger, Hal White, Graham Elliott) more than at my country.

Cheers,

AT (a.k.a. "I pray I'm not a '09 candidate")

I never had TAMU on my shortlist until Fulbright asked me: "Where do you want us to apply to? It is U of Iowa or TAMU." After checking both programs, I found out that it was a much better fit to go to TAMU than Iowa, so I chose it. It is ranked 40th-50th on most rankings I've surveyed, but their PhD program looked nice enough for me. :D

TAMU seems like a good program. I am definitely going to be applying there, I think it'd be a good fit for me.

That's weird what you were saying about different programs. I would suspect that most people who even care about Econ PhDs would have some sense of the ranking and factor it in to their decision making.

Make that 4 of us here.

Wow! For a minute I thought I was the 2009 person who'd been on TM the longest.

lol, great thread and even better title

Mark me down for fall of 09 as well. Kind of cool, we get to sit and watch for this year how things turn out for this years bunch, and hopefully still be here when many of them stop posting here.

As for courses, I could have stoppped last quarter if I wanted to, but I figured more classes couldn't hurt. Right now I'm working on two research projects(one of which runs through summer). and taking a stochastic processes class. Next quarter I plan on taking mathematical economics, mathematical statistics, and *maybe* game theory if time permits.

Right now it's not clear to me where I want to apply. I'm thinking UC irvine and UCSB, maybe UC Davis as a major reach. Who knows....

Right now I really need to figure out where a third LOR would come from. Maybe an independent paper next quarter with a professor advising, but I don't know if I'll have time for that.

anyone else?

I think any school in CA would be great.

I bet many people want to go to school in Cali. I really don't think I'd like it there because the cost of living is so high. In graduate school, I don't think I'll have too much money, so a place like that is not so appealing. That's probably just me though. Don't get me wrong, if I could go to a great program in Cali, I'd be there in a heart beat. But if I was comparing two similar programs, one in Cali and one somewhere else that's cheaper to live, I'd probably lean towards the somwhere else.

Does anybody know if the funding is much different when a school is located in an expensive city?

After this past month, I think any school in CA would be great.

Why? What happened this past month? Am I unaware of something?:hmm:

YoungEconomist, the reason I joined TM in June 2005 was not (primarily) Ph.D Econ. I came to prepare for GRE at that time and stayed on after I finished it.

I was in my last year of undergrad then and now I am doing my M.A. Time flies by.

I'm applying Fall '09 too!

I've actually had an account on TM for a while, because I WAS going to apply for Fall '08, but then decided to transfer undergrad schools. So I have to do ALL my major requirements for an econ degree almost all over again. :mad: (But more time for math classes!) So, yeah. Sorry if I've been "lurking." It recently just hit me HOW CLOSE grad school applications actually are. So, I'm back, hoping to be a full contributor this time around!

Anyways, like I said, I pretty much have 4 more econ classes in the semester system just to graduate (that's all I needed last year at my old college, but in the quarter system!), and real analysis (which I'll be taking this summer.)

Like most of you, I have like 20 schools I want to apply to--most in the 20-70 range... and some business ph.d, and ARE programs. Maybe some in the top 20 if I can boost my profile in the next

Woo! Good luck to all of us '09ers! (It's never too early) And, of course, good luck to the '08ers!

What Business PhD programs? What do you wanna study there?

Mmmm... I've been looking into UCLA Anderson (as a REACH!), USC Marshall, and UC Irvine Merage... sooooo, pretty much staying in CA, haha. I was thinking of studying either Marketing, or some type of Information and Operations Management. I've been really interested in I.O. and Labor Econ, so I'm figuring these are the closest? I haven't really looked TOO MUCH into anything... most of my grad school research has been directed at econ departments.