Urch Forums

could you guys please help me ranking these institutions

dishu

I am interested in micro theory, econometrics, game theory and political economy. I would really appreciate if you could help me ordering these institutions.

Boston University

Cornell

Indiana U

Maryland- College Park

NYU

Penn State

Rochester

UIUC

We all know NYU would be number one, but how about the others? I have a chance in some of them and I am still praying for the others, hehe (hopeless hope... I know). Pointing out which ones are tied (or almost) would be really appreciated too.

Thanks a lot

I would rank them:

NYU

UMD

Rochester (probably tied with UMD, giving MD the edge for being near DC)

Cornell

BU (probably tied with Cornell, or slightly ahead with your interests)

UIUC

Penn State

Indiana (I know very little about these last two departments, so my estimation has information deficiencies)

Of course these rankings are subject to where you will be the happiest. Personally, the places I'd rather live than Rochester would take more space to list than I have here, and I really like Boston. You get the idea... Visit the departments and see who you get the best feeling with. Also check websites to see if you like where these schools placed graduates.

I think it depends on your field of specialization.

If you don't know your intended fields yet, then I suppose going to the biggest, broadest departments that also have a good replacement record (which should reflect on the quality of program) is the best way to go. After NYU, those would probably Maryland, BU, and Cornell perhaps? Followed by Rochester and Penn State (smaller, more specialized, but relatively high quality departments), followed by UIUC and IUB, again breaking tie depending on field of choice (IUB seems decent in macro, but UIUC has competent in many other subjects).

Thanks a lot jeeves 0923 and macroeconomicus. I really appreciate your response, as this is my first time in a forum ever. I must admit I was afraid none cared about my thread :)

I hope to receive more responses such that I can have a clear idea of where to go.