Urch Forums

A structure ques. from Powerprep

manasi4gre

A ques. i encountered in the powerprep:

The Mississippi river boat which evolved from the simpler steamship of the early 1800's ,became the dominant form of passenger transport on the Mississippi river.

Is it c?

Can anyone clarify the right ans.?What do u say abt this sent.Michael?

Manshi i think D is the correct answer.C couldn't be the correct answer since is an adjective that modifies the noun form.

Transport should be transportation.

Check this out:

`transport'

In British English, vehicles that you travel in are referred to generally as transport.

`transportation'

American speakers usually use transportation to refer both to vehicles and to the moving of goods or people.

A ques. i encountered in the powerprep:

The Mississippi river boat which evolved from the simpler steamship of the early 1800's ,became the dominant form of passenger transport on the Mississippi river.

Is it c?

Can anyone clarify the right ans.?What do u say abt this sent.Michael?

This is what left me stumped in this ques.In british u.k usage there is nothing wrong with using "transport" for means of travel/travel vehicles..But here in this sent.what is the supposedly right ans. ?

All views invited.

`transport'

In British English, vehicles that you travel in are referred to generally as transport.

`transportation'

American speakers usually use transportation to refer both to vehicles and to the moving of goods or people.

The right ques.is as follows:(sorry about the typo-it was actually a corrected form of the sentence)

The Mississippi river boat which evolved from simpler steamship of the early 1800's ,became the dominant form of passenger transport on the Mississippi river.

the right ans. is b.steamship-steamships