Urch Forums

What is the best way to prepare for reading section?

mohamed

Hi guys,

I need your help on how to prepare for the reading section. I took the TOEFL exam three times and my score in that section is always 20. What do I need to do to increase it. Any techniques, ideas... Please help me.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my strategy:

TOEFL reading questions can be devided into two cats: vocabulary questions and the rest. First, you should collect a set of TOEFL academic words. I did this by taking R practice tests. Use a notebook or something to record your new words. For me, because I m an IT prof. I created my own software to learn. For the other type of questions, my strategy is to read the question first. R questions are almost given in the order of the passages. So I think you should get ourself a reason to read, that is why do we read, what should we read, where should we read. With a question in mind, it is easier to read and concerntrate on the details. The last is about main idea and main topic questions. You should choose these questions to solve at very last. Some would advise to deal with them at very first but I think you can only be sure about the main idea or topic after completely read all the passages. Use my technique to deal with the questions, you can be sure that you have plenty of time to read all the words you are given. I didn't even have to scan and skim the reading to find the answers because I just read when I need to find the answer.

Pratice and you would find that you just go thru the passages only once and completely solve all the questions.

This is my strategy when I took the real test in Jan 2004 and my R score is 60/67 (PBT). Hope that they could help you in some ways. [dance]

• 6 months later...
Here is my strategy:

TOEFL reading questions can be devided into two cats: vocabulary questions and the rest. First, you should collect a set of TOEFL academic words. I did this by taking R practice tests. Use a notebook or something to record your new words. For me, because I m an IT prof. I created my own software to learn. For the other type of questions, my strategy is to read the question first.

Prof, I agree with your first way to solve vocabulary question. This method may be strong to deal with those questions.

However, I doubt your advice regarding reading the question first before reading the passage any further. This method may works for your, but for most people, it won't. (like me)

People tend to do what is interesting to them. Reading section can be easilly done as youa re interested toward it. However, for most historical reading, seemed uninteresting. We need to grasp, draw a big picture what is going on? this can be done by reading the passage once, then proceed to the question

In the first time reading, you aren't be neccessary to grasp and remember all the detail

Once your mind can able to grasp and feel the intense of the reading, then you can infer, predict, solve quickly.

:tup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the TOEFL in Aug 2002 and scored 61 / 67 on the Reading. After 2 years studying Master's degree in the US, I took the test again (for the PhD admission) and scored 30 / 30 on the Reading. My recommendation is that you shouldn't study the so-called wordlists. You won't remember 70% of them. Instead you should read a lot of articles in English. Why don't you read English news instead of local newspapers in your own language?

What I find interesting is that you have plenty of time doing the Reading on CBT. You have 70 mins to do only 4 passages with 44 questions (PBT: 5 passages - 50 questions - 55 mins).

• 2 weeks later...
I took the TOEFL in Aug 2002 and scored 61 / 67 on the Reading. After 2 years studying Master's degree in the US, I took the test again (for the PhD admission) and scored 30 / 30 on the Reading. My recommendation is that you shouldn't study the so-called wordlists. You won't remember 70% of them. Instead you should read a lot of articles in English. Why don't you read English news instead of local newspapers in your own language?

What I find interesting is that you have plenty of time doing the Reading on CBT. You have 70 mins to do only 4 passages with 44 questions (PBT: 5 passages - 50 questions - 55 mins).

You are so excelent Man! I agree with you that we should read more english materials instead of just learning the new vocabularies which are hard to remember. However, i pesonally think that it is better for us to do both ways!

• 3 weeks later...
As Awhig pointed out, there is no need to learn new words unless u r gonna give GRE !!...Don't pressurise yourself an the burn out in the end.. General sites like cnn, scientific american has lot of good articiles,, you can learn atleast 10 new words a day..