Urch Forums

#069: If you could study a subject that you have n

Erin

• 1 month later...

Hi Erin,

I did not set any time limit for this answer. Please do suggest and comment about this one. Thanks.

69.If you could study a subject that you have never had the opportunity to

study, what would you choose? Explain your choice, using specific reasons and details.

I were given an opportunity to study a subject that I never had to a chance to study before, I would choose archeology. Archeology is about prehistoric people and their culture. It is a very interesting subject to pursue, as it would take people to the past times. Let’s evaluate the reasons for giving my preference to archeology.

Chief reason is, one gets to travel a lot. For instance, archeologists go to many different inaccessible destinations throughout the world to discover about past people. Beautiful places all the over world could be explored. Many new things about different places could be learnt. Such journeys would be very educative, and quiet informative.

Another reason that can be given is, one gets a chance to peek in the prehistoric people’s life. For example, the tools, utensils, or any other accessories left by the past people could reveal so much about their life style and their struggle for existence. It not only reveals such intricate details but also, information like how culture is formed, preserved and could successfully pass such society values to their future generations.

Another reason is, appreciation for human race increases, as humans struggled for years to be in the place where they are now. For example, such discoveries increases the appreciation, as it shows with evidence how people in those old days with great determination, intelligence and creativity tried their best to adapt themselves to the fast changing environment and climatic conditions.

In conclusion, if I have an opportunity to study a subject, which never pursued before, I would opt archeology because this subject has all features that can satisfy me at the same time carries me away with its various different interesting things.

first of all i would like to say that i am also preparing for Toefl and not a professional.

Just wanted to comment on your Essay.....

I feel that its introdution, body and conclusion and the overall content of the Essay was VERY GOOD. I myself got a nice idea of what to write on a topic like this.

But you have to improve in the area of grammar.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

There are many subjects I have never studied but I would like to study. From all of these subjects I want to select one – Financial Mathematics. This subject has been gradually developing from early times in mankind history, yet it is far from being complete.

In my opinion financial mathematics is always cutting edge science. For instance as our society changes over time, so do finances and financial mathematics. Every time economists think they know everything about economy and economic situation, some crisis happens. And all current economic theories become obsolete. Apparently it is easier to make a breakthrough in the financial math, than, for example, in functional mathematics or linear algebra.

By all means I am very good at mathematics and like this subject very much. From early childhood I solved puzzles, during school I participated in numerous mathematical contests and won third diploma in All-Russian Mathematical Olympiade. In my opinion I would succeed in this area if I had a chance to study it.

I believe financial mathematics is a very interesting and modern science I am very suited for. If I could study a subject that I have never had the opportunity to study, I would definitely choose financial mathematics for reasons I specified above.

New version

There are many subjects I have never studied but I would like to study. From all of these subjects I want to select one – Financial Mathematics. Financial mathematics tries to explain economic activity and trends on the language of mathematical equations and formulas. This subject has been gradually developing from early times in mankind history, yet it is far from being complete.

In my opinion financial mathematics is always cutting edge science. For instance as our society changes over time, so do finances and financial mathematics. Every time economists think they know everything about economy and economic situation, some crisis happens. And all current economic theories become obsolete. We yet to see how financial mathematics will explain dotcom bubble and prolonged stagnation with low inflation and low interest rate. Apparently it is easier to make a breakthrough in the financial math, than, for example, in a functional mathematics or linear algebra.

By all means I am very good at mathematics and like this subject very much. From early childhood I solved puzzles, during school I participated in numerous mathematical contests and won third diploma in All-Russian Mathematical Olympiade. In my opinion I would succeed in this area if I had a chance to study it.

Also as far as I am concerned studying financial mathematics is a smart career choice. If you are successful in this field you can land a good job at major bank or even in “Big 5” consulting company. Salaries in this area are much higher than in academia. Also financial math can help in personal life – I would be able to calculate mortgage or loan interest by myself.

I believe financial mathematics is a very interesting and modern science I am very well suited for. In addition it’s very important in our society and with luck I can make a difference in it. If I could study a subject that I have never had the opportunity to study, I would definitely choose financial mathematics for the reasons I specified above.

• 2 months later...

Hi people. Say somthing about my essay.

It is true that you can not study all subjects that interest him at the same time. Most people have to choose subjects that are necessary for his future job and concentrate on them. But there is always some secret desire to know more about some particular things. For me they are ocean space and life that thrives in it. That’s why if I could study a subject that I have never had the opportunity to study I would choose a marine biology. It appeals to me in so many ways, the mystery that accompanies the science of sea (ocean) and the world of living things that reside there has always attracted me in some magic way but I never tool my chance. Now, if I am given such, I will not hesitate much before I take and below are some reasons for doing so.

Marine biology is a science that deals with the animals and plants of the sea how they depend on directly on bodies of saltwater for food and other necessities. It also explains the chemical and physical properties of seawater, the currents and the composition of the sea floor. Oceans and seas are still a mystery for scientists. They contain more living things then other natural habitats. Ocean provides people with food and medicine. Moreover, ocean is a huge reservoir of waters that influences climate and temperature balance. People existence on the Earth depends on the oceans to a large extent.

It is hard to imagine what a big world exists in the depths of the oceans. How many undiscovered enigmas it contains? Humankind has discovered just a small part about oceans and the life that thrives within them. We still don’t have the full catalog of marine organisms and their properties. Only today with improved diving equipment, underwater cameras and television that have made direct observation possible, we can understand better the real aquatic world. For example, only with help of modern equipment the scientist have measured sulfur gases level that the oceans release. They know that this gas is required for cloud formation. They can also measure carbone dioxide that is taken up by marine plants (phytoplankton).

Finally, another very important part of what marine biology study is the ocean pollution and its effect on the environment. Over-fishing leads to food chain disturbance and the change of the whole structure of the marine ecosystem. Oil spill and ship dump change chemical and physical status of the oceans. Thus, the oceans can not provide efficient gas exchange and climate control that make worse greenhouse effect, global warming, and acid rains.

Taking all of the above mentioned, I can easily conclude that marine biology is a good way for me to broaden my mind and find out more about the interesting world that exists in the deeps of the oceans. IT could also help me to understand better how important is to preserve the oceans from pollution and damage.

Hi Tetyana

I liked your essay and the subject you chose is interesting.

You made just a few mistakes, which are made mainly because of hurry.

''It is true that you can not study all subjects that interest him at the same time.''

It is cannot

" They can also measure carbone dioxide that is taken up by marine plants (phytoplankton). "

It is carbon

And I'm not sure about this one:

" Taking all of the above mentioned, I can easily conclude that marine biology is a good way for me to broaden my mind and find out more about the interesting world that exists in the deeps of the oceans. "

I think there goes could

The essay is very good.

Tell me how much time u needed to write it/

Milos

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I have taken the GRE General exam and got only a 5 at the analytical assignment. Now I am studying for TOEFL. Please someone give some feedback regarding my level of writing. The TOEFL topics are easier, but I thought that I surely made the difference in the GRE issue. It wasn't so.:( Thank you very much

This topic is surely an intriguing one. If I were to choose a subject that I have never had the opportunity to study I would pick philosophy. I believe that philosophy is a major subject concerning all people. I will sustain my opinion in the next essay.

First of all, I always had an attraction for the unresolved things. When I was 8 years old, I was talking with my father for hours about scientific issues. Of course I did not understood the true nature of the big questions, but I gave my best and in my little mind I tried to find an answer to mind boggling topics like: How did life appeared on Earth? or Are people equal? Later I realized that these questions are analyzed by philosophers which make theories explaining everything and nothing. Since then I have read a lot of philosophical literature and I embrace the ideas of Emil Cioran, the great Romanian nihilist philosopher. I believe that philosophy tries to answer basic questions like: Why are we on this Earth? These may seam easy questions, but if you start to think you will realize that you have no method of achieving a result.

Secondly, the philosophy is fascinating for its personalities. Geniuses like Kant, Niezstche, Aristotle or Descartes have been involved in solving existential issues. People need to know many theories discovered by intelligent scientists or writers in order to understand our universe. That is right, in philosophy you can find a lot of mathematicians, writers, physicians or even historians. Philosophy relates with many subjects and great literature for instance always has a philosophical background. By learning philosophy students will not only begin to think, but will try to get out of our hackneyed thoughts. Many people waste their time thinking what to wear or what to eat, instead of trying to exit this mind prison. Our mind is free and we can wonder in metaphysical concepts without being a genius.

Thirdly, I strongly believe that philosophy is the most important matter for our future. For example we have to put ourselves a capital question: Does God exist? This simple question can change the way we act, work and even think. We must choose for ourselves if we believe in a higher authority or if we are atheists. Most of the people believe in God because of their nurturing and others do not believe in any divinity because they did not pay any thought in this matter. Both approaches are completely wrong. The answer to this question can be found by reading many books especially philosophy.

Finally, the philosophy is scintillating like literature and even though you do not agree with the author’s opinion, you need to watch his stance. After all, I see philosophy similar to a lively debate. You can see Kant exposing his theories and Descartes proving materialism is the right approach. You watch this show and you discover yourself in all these thousands of colliding theories.

To sum up, philosophy is the most important subject and should be taught even in elementary schools. We should not be afraid to expose our children to questions that might be inexplicable. After all I believe the goal of a human being is to discover the world and himself/herself.