Urch Forums

can anyone assess my essay: "studying foreign language at home or abroad"

joannaa

Below is my essay... can anyone read it, correct it or just assess, please ?? :)

Some people think that studying a foreign language in the country where the language is spoken is the best way to learn the language. Others think that learning a foreign language while living in your own country is preferable. Discuss both situations. Which point of view do you agree with? Give your reasons.

In my opinion learning a new language is always difficult and demands a lot of work. However, it’s much easier to learn a language in a country where it is spoken. While staying abroad one has a chance to learn a real language because s/he is constantly exposed to the new language, and even without many extra classes can quickly get the ability to communicate. I think that communication is the most important thing, and only staying in other country, without possibility of speaking a mother tongue can make somebody to start learning. Furthermore, staying abroad means listening news, watching TV, reading newspapers, etc in the new language. It appears to me that all grammar structures and rules, many collocations can be naturally memorized only by reading, listening and speaking with native speakers in their country. The correct accent can also be gained in a completely natural way. Although I cannot imagine somebody going abroad without a basic knowledge of the language spoken in a visited country.

Some people believe that learning a language with a teacher who is the same nationality as students is the best method. Generally, it’s a good method for the beginners. Thanks to that everyone can get explanation in his/her mother tongue. However, students often overuse their native language instead of using the taught one. Learning in your own country has some other advantages. Staying home and attending courses is obviously cheaper and more comfortable – nobody has to worry about accommodation. There are a great number of books containing courses for foreign students, which can be very helpful. Unfortunately it’s almost impossible to learn a correct accent or the real spoken language without going abroad or having a contact with a native speaker. It is extremely hard to memorize thousand of collocations, grammar rules, and vocabulary only staying at home without being exposed to the language.

I think that leaving your country to learn a language is the best method. None language course or a teacher cannot replace living and learning the language in the foreign country. Only living, speaking and using the language in real situations may give good results. Neither making grammar exercises nor speaking an hour a week with a native speaker, is better than naturally learning abroad.

Hi joanna

That is a well thought-out and wonderfully written essay!

I would only suggest you to split the paragraphs into shorter ones, with one argument per para. Also, try to make a more clearly shaped introduction; it is better not to start straight with the points.

Good luck on your test :)