Urch Forums

FPGEE for Philippine residents

AmbyChloe

Hello,

I would like to ask about how the process will go. I'm a Philippine resident and passport holder and assuming I would obtain a PharmD degree, which according to NABP is the equivalent degree to a US pharmacist. The NABP provides a test called FPGEE, which is to be taken INSIDE the USA. Are there tiny exceptions to cases like such? What I had in mind was:

1. Apply for the EB-2 visa (applies for me because I have a BS Pharmacy and PharmD degree) at the same time apply for a job in which an employer will sponsor me.

2. Arrive at the US, take the FPGEE and when passed I would take the State board and NAPLEX. Does it work this way? Because the FPGEE requires my physical presence in the USA, while I cannot do that without a visa.

Now the dilemma is: I CANNOT APPLY FOR AN IMMIGRANT VISA IF I HAVE NO EMPLOYER, I WON'T HAVE AN EMPLOYER IF I DON'T PASS THE FPGEE. What may you suggest if this does not work?

Thanks very much a detailed help or guide would be very much appreciated.

Amby [

Edited by AmbyChloe
Fixed formatting

I'm not too familiar with visas unfortunately, so I can't comment there.

Regarding the exams and process: FPGEE is given every April and November. To be eligible you have to pass the requirements of the ECE and NABP. ECE evaluates your transcripts and related documents. Once ECE oks you, they will inform NABP that you are eligible and NABP will give you a date to take the exam.

Upon passing the FPGEE, you will have to intern/volunteer as an intern at a pharmacy for 1500 documented hours. After which you will take the national and, depending on which state, the state law exam.

I graduated from USC May 2011, passed the Philippine board January 2012, passed the TOEFL June 2012, passed the FPGEE November 2012, interned, passed National and State exams August 2014. A 3 year process for me.

You can always visit USA just to take the exams (FPGEE, TOEFL, NAPLEX & MPJE) and go back to Philippines using visitor visa.

The hardest part is to obtain 1,500 internship hours (1,400 hrs in some states).

It is already very difficult even you volunteer to get hours. If you're lucky enough, you'll get paid but if you are looking to be sponsored, your chance is very slim but not impossible.

Good luck with your journey.

Regarding the exams and process: FPGEE is given every April and November. To be eligible you have to pass the requirements of the ECE and NABP. ECE evaluates your transcripts and related documents. Once ECE oks you, they will inform NABP that you are eligible and NABP will give you a date to take the exam.

Upon passing the FPGEE, you will have to intern/volunteer as an intern at a pharmacy for 1500 documented hours. After which you will take the national and, depending on which state, the state law exam.

I graduated from USC May 2011, passed the Philippine board January 2012, passed the TOEFL June 2012, passed the FPGEE November 2012, interned, passed National and State exams August 2014. A 3 year process for me.

Wow! That's definitely a long way!

Did you obtain your 5 whole years from USC?

That's correct.

When you submitted your requirements for credential evaulation, what does your ECE report say on the degree you obtained or the equivalent degree you obtained in the US? Was it BS Pharmaceutical Sciences, BS Pharmacy Major in Clinical Pharmacy, etc.?

When you submitted your requirements for credential evaulation, what does your ECE report say on the degree you obtained or the equivalent degree you obtained in the US? Was it BS Pharmaceutical Sciences, BS Pharmacy Major in Clinical Pharmacy, etc.?

http://i.imgur.com/AgdNBPx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gwGoB2Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AgdNBPx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gwGoB2Y.jpg

Their evaluation of US equivance is somewhat weird. As far as I know, the BPharm is only 4 years. But at least, it made you sit for the FPGEE. I heard that those who actually graduated from a non-USC school will not be issued a diploma after finishing clinical pharmacy in USC. Have you had classmates who were into a case similar as this?

Their evaluation of US equivance is somewhat weird. As far as I know, the BPharm is only 4 years. But at least, it made you sit for the FPGEE. I heard that those who actually graduated from a non-USC school will not be issued a diploma after finishing clinical pharmacy in USC. Have you had classmates who were into a case similar as this?

I'm not too sure about that, sorry.

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I am US citizen and UST Clinical Pharmacy 2013 graduate currently finishing my hours as an intern RPh in the state of California. I just want share my experiences here and from other pharmacists I've worked with who also went through the FPGEE process (I know 2 RPhs who came from Egypt and they shared their experiences with me). Unfortunately, the current conditions of the pharmacy world in the United States is that there is an overflow of US graduates. In my region (central/Southern California) its difficult to land a full time staff pharmacist position in either hospital or retail because of the amount of US grads. Intern spots are also at stake. I have not heard of any retail pharmacies sponsoring any foreign graduates in the past years since many of them would rather sponsor a non US citizen who graduated in the US with a PharmD, I'm not saying that there isn't any who will in these conditions but if you are really adamant on pursuing the "American Dream" be prepared to dedicate several years in finding that working visa sponsor, intern pharmacist position, and a dedicated source of income to finance your way through the process. It will be a long and hard journey but if you make it to the end, that would be one lifetime accomplishment. Good luck to everyone!

Hello.

I am US citizen and UST Clinical Pharmacy 2013 graduate currently finishing my hours as an intern RPh in the state of California. I just want share my experiences here and from other pharmacists I've worked with who also went through the FPGEE process (I know 2 RPhs who came from Egypt and they shared their experiences with me). Unfortunately, the current conditions of the pharmacy world in the United States is that there is an overflow of US graduates. In my region (central/Southern California) its difficult to land a full time staff pharmacist position in either hospital or retail because of the amount of US grads. Intern spots are also at stake. I have not heard of any retail pharmacies sponsoring any foreign graduates in the past years since many of them would rather sponsor a non US citizen who graduated in the US with a PharmD, I'm not saying that there isn't any who will in these conditions but if you are really adamant on pursuing the "American Dream" be prepared to dedicate several years in finding that working visa sponsor, intern pharmacist position, and a dedicated source of income to finance your way through the process. It will be a long and hard journey but if you make it to the end, that would be one lifetime accomplishment. Good luck to everyone!

I think I know who you are hahahaha! If this doesn't work for me, I might change my career path haha! Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

• 3 years later...

Hello there, I'm Jonas, I'm also a Filipino Pharmacist, but I only have BSPharm (4 year course) as my credential, am I still qualify to seat and take FPGEE exam. And is it possible if i'm going to take the remaining 1 year Pharmacy Course in the US to make it to 5 years. Your response is highly appreciated

Hello there, I'm Jonas, I'm also a Filipino Pharmacist, but I only have BSPharm (4 year course) as my credential, am I still qualify to seat and take FPGEE exam. And is it possible if i'm going to take the remaining 1 year Pharmacy Course in the US to make it to 5 years. Your response is highly appreciated

To be eligible for the FPGEE you need to have completed a 5 year course, which is pretty much the 4 year BS and the 1 year clinical course.

The only other option is to re-enroll in a pharmacy program in the US for the 2-3 year course for foreign graduates. There is no extra 1 year course to take in the US to make make the missing clinical year.

Hi, I just want to ask what are the requirements and qualifications needed to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician in the USA. I understand that being a US Pharmacist is a long process and I needed a 5 yrs Pharmacy course.. I am thinking of an option if I would apply and become a CPht in the US..

• 1 month later...

You just need to take the exam for technician in state where you would like to work. Check the ptcb.org, it tells you the requirement before taking the exam and based on my experince i would rather you pursue becoming license pharmacist here than just being a technician.

Hi, I just want to ask what are the requirements and qualifications needed to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician in the USA. I understand that being a US Pharmacist is a long process and I needed a 5 yrs Pharmacy course.. I am thinking of an option if I would apply and become a CPht in the US..