Urch Forums

Is it alright to attend flyout when you have your mind set on something else

Pedxs

So yea the topic pretty much says it.

I do want to visit some schools but since I already know where I want to attend, I feel guilty wasting the other departments' money, which can be better used on another applicant.

Also, since I could not be sure that I will get into my top choice, I did commit to some other schools that I will attend their flyout - is it ok to renege on this?

think about it.. you are the fly out at hopkins ( or brown etc) and you're saying that you have a funded offer from mit. how would those people feel? and more improtantly, how would you feel* how would you explain why you are there...

so...

if i were you, i would not go. but i am a bit shy with these issues so dont take me very seriously...

Departments fund flyouts to help you make a decision. So if you've already made a decision, then you ought to decline the other programs/flyouts.

That said, if your mind is not entirely made up, you might learn something you didn't expect

As long as you are not 100% convinced that you are going somewhere else, then a flyout would be okay. If you are 100% set on going to MIT, I wouldn't waste the department's resources and your time going to visit the campus. They'll try to convince you to go to their school and when you say "Well, I'm planning on going to MIT... I'm sure of it" then they really don't have anything else to say.

If you are 99% sure or less, then I would go. Tell them that you are pretty certain about going to MIT but am not 100% sure yet and wanted to give each department a chance and a look.