Urch Forums

Sc

dipaksingh

Cleveland is one of a/the large number of communities that are/is looking to its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

what would be the correct usage ? please explain as i am highly confused with this type of format?

Cleveland is one of the large number of communities that is looking to its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

This sounds better to me...what is the OA? will explain if correct...!

i also picked 'the-is' pair. but then the discussion got me thinkin..... well, not changed my answer, im still thinkin...

"You use "a" because the number is large. I think you usually use "the" when it's "special" or few: "one of THE few," "one of the first...""

thinkin on gmat168's contribution---- is it wrong to say:

"All the people who believe in Jesus go to church once in a week."

i mean, here also "People" is a large number.... but we use (if the sentence is correct) 'the' instead of 'a', so......

My thoughts ONLY apply to the "of the" or "of a" construction. It doesn't apply in the case you presented because you always use "the" after "all."

Buzz,

the subject is NOT communities -- be very careful. The subject is "number of communities..." -- NUMBER is singular, and is what the subject verb agreement is based on.

Guys, the answer lies in its "looking to its water " so the sentence says Cleveland as a group or single entity and it's singular.

"one of a large no of communities" -> plural

"one of the large no of communities" -> singular

so it's "the" and "is".

My thoughts ONLY apply to the "of the" or "of a" construction. It doesn't apply in the case you presented because you always use "the" after "all."

Buzz,

the subject is NOT communities -- be very careful. The subject is "number of communities..." -- NUMBER is singular, and is what the subject verb agreement is based on.

hmm...:hmm: Very true.

but my answer still holds to 'the-is' pair.

This sentence is hopeless. "A large number of" is just another way of saying "many." "Cleveland is one of many communities that..." The subject of the second verb is "that," which here refers to communities and is therefore plural. So "are" is correct. Cleveland is not the only city looking to its waterfront (one word). It is one of many that are doing so. The problem is "its," which should be "their":

"Cleveland is one of a large number of communities that are looking to their waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life."

Couple of pretty common GMAT tips:

• a number = some, many. Should be plural. E.g., A number of people are waiting for you.
  • the number = the number. Should be singular. E.g., The number of people who are waiting for you is growing.

And this perpetual stumper:

• one of + PLURAL NOUN + that/who + PLURAL VERB

I discussed this a couple years back. Check out the one of post in the GMAT FAQ forum.

The question should have been

Cleveland is one of a/the large number of communities that are/is looking to their/its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

And the answer is

Cleveland is one of a large number of communities that are looking to their water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

• Like 1

The question should have been

Cleveland is one of a/the large number of communities that are/is looking to their/its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

And the answer is

Cleveland is one of a large number of communities that are looking to their water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

yes the OA is a & are but not their

the book from where i took it used its

IMO use of its is not wrong here since a large no of communities = many states are non living things and thus we cannot use their (personify) in this case, though i have seen their being used for states but the grammer rule says otherwise.

for example

we dont use

chairs with their one leg broken.

ofcourse, grammar rule mentions exceptional cases where non living things can be personified but i dont have any idea on what basis personification of non living things can be done.

can any one help me on the personification issue.

Chosing 'a' and 'are' we get:

Cleveland is one of a large number of communities that are looking to its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

This implies that Cleveland along with a larger number of other communities are looking at the development of Clevelands water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

According to the original question we did not have a choice to change 'its' to 'theirs' so the above sentence would result if we were to chose 'a' and 'are'. I think this sentence is technically correct. Perhaps the other communities are would benefit from development of Clevelands watefront. Maybe not directly but indirectly as a case study or an example that they can use to improve their own waterfront.

Cleveland is one of a/the large number of communities that are/is looking to its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

what would be the correct usage ? please explain as i am highly confused with this type of format?

Cleveland is one of the large number of communities that is looking to its water front as a way to improve the quality of urban life.

The 2nd better?