Urch Forums

Timing Strategy for VERBAL Section

mymagic

All--approx how many minutes do we have per question on the Verbal section? I recall about 1 min 20 secs per SC question but Im not sure for CR/RC. My approach is to list time intervals counting down from 75 minutes to 0 in one column and in a corresponding column to count from number 1 to number 41 for the total number of questions so that I can scratch off questions as I go and thus keep track of my time as I complete the test....Can anyone suggest time intervals? Ie 5 min intervals..7 min intervals? Does anyone use a similar approach for verbal and if so please share!:D

• 1 year later...

The strategy that I would follow is

1. finish SC questions as fast possible; within 35 -50 seconds if possible.

2. Use the extra time gained in SC to use in RC

3. Finish CR in 2-3 minutes depending on the difficulty level.

You see the trick is, you need to read fast and still read very very very attentively. How come that is possible? well for some people it is possible, for the most it is not.

You need to define the purpose then.

SC : is all about pattern recognition. If you are fast to recognize pattern, 99% of the job is done. Purpose is : recognize pattern as soon as possible.

CR: all about reading attentively. Purpose: Do not rush, do not scramble. take your time. These are not the questions to show off how fast you can read.

RC: Now you can show off your WPM. reading with maximum speed with comprehension. this requires practice which develops with practice. and the funny thing is it is very much doable. If you could read 350 words per minute with great comprehension, RC is dudu.

• 3 weeks later...
Make a chart for all the answer choices and all the questions. Write A,B,C,D,E across and 1-41 down. Then when you go through the answer choices of each question, put a C next to contenders and an X next to definite wrong answers. If you do this, then you won't waste any time reconsidering answer choices that are definitely wrong. This will save you 10 seconds or so on average for each question.

• 2 months later...
In studying for the Verbal GMAT, the best thing to do is to hit your skills first. Most of us are used to grammar by graduate level. Therefore, attacking the SC questions should pretty easy. However, IJR's methodology may be too simplistic leaving things open to chance. Remember, the GMAT is a logic game. The best thing to do then is study logic for the CR and Reading. However, here is the differnce. In CR, you are studying semantics-- what are the words and basic arguments. Studying the basic arguments is not only useful for the CR but also for the AWA. By spotting head on the differences in arguments, the right answer always comes out. That should take you one reading and reduce time. In the reading section, study the argument structure. The argument structure will help with most of the questions. The remaining questions, look back. Outline the passage into an argument by skimming then go to the questions. Content questions can be spotted easily (having just skimmed it). Structure questions are already outlined. One drawback, know the difference between skim, scan, and deep reading. Good luck on the GMAT and hope it helps. (E-Symposia)

• 2 months later...
All--approx how many minutes do we have per question on the Verbal section? I recall about 1 min 20 secs per SC question but Im not sure for CR/RC. My approach is to list time intervals counting down from 75 minutes to 0 in one column and in a corresponding column to count from number 1 to number 41 for the total number of questions so that I can scratch off questions as I go and thus keep track of my time as I complete the test....Can anyone suggest time intervals? Ie 5 min intervals..7 min intervals? Does anyone use a similar approach for verbal and if so please share!:D

I created a free video that suggests a timing strategy for the math and verbal sections.

You can find it here: Managing your time on the GMAT - YouTube

Cheers,

Brent