Urch Forums

Need guidance for MA Economics from Canada

owais

Hello Everyone!

Guys, I am currently looking for an MA in Economics from Canadian Universities. My main concern is to get a place in and MA program with full funding and I am willing to pursue a PhD in Economics later on. As an Introduction of mine, I have done a 4 years Bachelors Degree in Actuarial Science and Risk Management from a Pakistan State university; University of Karachi. I got a CGPA of 3.16/4. I have been working with PricewaterhouseCoopers, Pakistan for last three years in its Risk Advisory Department. My main responsibilities include research and development of risk models using various statistical/econometric techniques. In short, my work experience is pretty much related to Economics. I have also cleared Financial Risk Manager (FRM) exam which is a USA based Risk Management certification. I have got 7 bands in IELTS. I will be appearing in GRE in January and pretty hopeful to score somewhere around 700-730 in Q. I have got one recommendation letter from an Econometrics prof, a letter from Computer Packages (IT) prof and a letter from my employer (PwC). My main questions are:

Can I apply for MA Economics with a Bachelors in Actuarial Science and Risk Management? As most universities are asking for the BA economics degree.

Which universities should I apply as per my profile?

Will my work experience be an added advantage for the admission?

What chances do I stand to secure a position and the funding?

Please guide me in this regard.

Thank you.

Owais

I applied to UK universities last year and got offers from City University, London for its Financial Economics programme and from Queen Mary University for its MSc Mathematical Finance programme. I got a scholarship of around 60% from Queen Marry.

• 2 weeks later...
I applied to UK universities last year and got offers from City University, London for its Financial Economics programme and from Queen Mary University for its MSc Mathematical Finance programme. I got a scholarship of around 60% from Queen Marry.

Can you please provide your profile i.e. GPA Major Work Experience Etc.

Thanks for you reply Danoo. I have got an overall CGPA of 3.16/4(74%) in my bachelors in Actuarial Science and Risk Management. I have a GPA of 3.2/4 in the 6 Economics subjects. I have been working with PricewaterhouseCoopers, Pakistan for last three years. My core responsibility encompassed research and development of financial/econometric models for our clients. These primarily include Value at Risk (VaR) Models, Backtesting, Stress Testing etc. Additionally, I have also been actively engaged in the research and development of ‘Industry Risk Rating’ model which is first of its kind in the Pakistani financial market.

• 1 month later...