Urch Forums

PhD Economics Interview

feasnt

Hello guys,

I just joined the forum after spending a lot of time reading peoples' comments even for topics that were not relevant to my situation really.

I am shortlisted for an MPhil/Phd in Economics and I am having an interview in a few days, including a scholarship that pays the rent. I have a BSc in Economics and an MSc in Development Studies, participated in a publication and some working experience. Don't expect grant names in my career/studies but the programme is not top-ranked either.

The structure of the program is the same for everybody admitted in the 1st year (advanced micro and macro, econometrics and maths) and in the 2nd you specialize year (ranges from economic history to mathematical finance). Hence, I am about to compete with people from highly numerical backgrounds (engineering, mathematical finance etc). This makes me feel quite stressed because even though I do fulfill the minimum requirements I don't have excellent grades. :blush:

Also, although I have taken around 5 - 10 interviews for professional positions in my life, I have never been interviewed for educational reasons. This makes me wonder, whether I should have a different style than usual.:hmm:

I would appreciate any help/advice from anyone with relevant experiences, especially if you had taken an academic interview.

Thank you very much

Thanks for the message dude.

The program I am applying is either American, nor British but is based in a relatively small country. Maybe this explains you might have never heard of interviews for Econ PhDs.

However, I suppose that the questions that they ask should be: "Why do you want to apply?, Why a PhD in Economics?, Tell us a few o about your proposed project. etc...

I am about to give emphasis on my love for research, the importance of Economics for policy etc.

I also thought to ask for suggestions here because so many members are already in a PhD or academics. So some advices from people that are inside, might help me avoid the cliches and the commonplaces.

Cheers

I think you are on the right track. Have you thought about differences in culture and a different emphasize of economics as a subject in general?

I'm just guessing: e.g. in eastern europe they might be more interested in students who want to study more social economic issues.

@OP: sorry for my response, but that's the only thing that I could come up with. I know there are places where you don't just apply but have to sit for an exam (or series of exams) to get into PhD programs. Really, I guess you just want to be prepared for the interview just like you would be for professional/job interviews. On top of that, prepare some questions about your research interests, research experience, math & econ courses, research projects you have done, what do you want to do with the econ degree, etc.?